Meditation for Makers

Daily Affirmations for a Creative Life

Pub Date 19 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 12 Nov 2021
Nimbus Publishing, Nimbus Publishing Limited

Talking about this book? Use #MeditationforMakers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

To lead a creative life is to experience dizzying highs and gloomy lows, and Deanne Fitzpatrick, a veteran textile artist and entrepreneur, has been there and back again. In this keepsake book, she shared thoughtful insights gleaned from over 25 years of making, offering 365 short vignettes encompassing themes of attention and mindfulness, beauty and design, community, faith, family, and embracing and overcoming fear and doubt. These meditations will help makers focus and may even lead to some creative breakthroughs. Read one a day, or devour the whole book in one sitting! It's up to you.

An essential companion book for anyone who struggles to stay inspired, especially during a time when creating and making can feel trivial, Meditations for Makers shows us that we now need makers more than ever. Features 75 original line drawings.

EDITION Paperback

Warmth in the hands of a maker. Deanne Fitzpatrick offers a lush book full of thoughts to encourage, calm, and soothe makers. A mixture of thoughts, prayers, and memories accompanied by elegant pen drawings. The focus is on the power of hand to make a create, whether it is a meal, a rug, or a painting. A delightful book for keep and also to give as a gift.

I enjoyed this book but it is not the sort of book you would sit down and read on one sitting. It is written so that you can dip in every day to read your uplifting piece for the day. As a maker myself, I found this quite interesting and relevant .

"...to all of you who turn your hands to something...." This is a lovely gift book for the creative folks on your Christmas list. I'm reviewing a digital advance copy from NetGalley but it looks like the print will have lots of room to add your own thoughts (as the author encourages you to do) & doodles and also to add color to Fitzpatrick's minimalist drawings. While lovely and introspective, these seemingly stream of consciousness explorations on creativity and the nature of craft and inspiration are more ruminations than meditations. There is no order or organization and they do run on for 175 pages or so. Not for me but I do know crafters and artists who will eat this up.

This is a nice wee book that you would dip into, its not one to read all in one go. Thought provoking and quite interesting. I really enjoyed seeing the line drawings. Thanks to Netgalley and Nimbus Publishing for the ARC.