Hidden Animal Colors

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Millbrook Press ™

Talking about this book? Use #HiddenAnimalColors #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Why should the bright and flashy animals get all of the attention? If you look closely at some seemingly ordinary animals, you may find a colorful surprise. A lizard is brown. A hippo is gray. But wait! The lizard has a blue tongue to scare predators, and the hippo has pink "sweat" that protects it from the sun! Brilliant photos accompany author Jane Park's rhyming nonfiction text in this playful exploration of animals' hidden colors.

I liked the photographs of this children's book and appreciate that they ranged from ones that were farther back to close up to highlight the "hidden" colors of each of the animals. It was interesting and informative, and of course colorful. It's great for children (and adults) to learn about the natural world and this book helps to identify some of these animals unique characteristics that aren't as easily visible on first look. Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher, and Jane Park for allowing me to read this early!

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Super cool book about how animals use colors for a variety of reasons.

This is a short picture book for preschool-aged children about the ways animals camouflage themselves or use color to communicate.

This is one cool picture book, even for adults. It starts out saying, yeah, we know there are really colorful animals out there, but I bet you didn't know about these animals that have color in unusual places. Like the lizard the Blue-Tongued Skink, who has a blue tongue, or a dull bird, the Tinamou, who lays bright green eggs. It gives us a look at things that we may not think to look for. Did you know that Beavers have iron in their teeth that makes them look orange? Great fun for kids and for adults, as they find out what animals use to startle preditors, <em>Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.</em>