I Mean You No Harm

A Novel

Narrated by Christine Williams
Pub Date 03 Aug 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #IMeanYouNoHarm #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The enemy of my enemy is my sister

Career criminal Vic Doloro isn’t the kind of guy you’d send a card to on Father’s Day. Layla Shawn never has. She’s spent most of her thirty-two years estranged from her father and haunted by the mysterious death of her mother.

Then Vic dies, leaving Layla—an unemployed artist—a tempting inheritance of ill-gotten money. Urging her to take the money is Vic’s other daughter, Bette, with whom Layla shares a troubled past. On a cross-country road trip, the two women mend fences, but Layla finds herself caught in the middle of an unsettled and lethal score between her father and a man who knows more than he should about her mother’s death.

As Layla zeroes in on the truth and wrestles with her own demons, she finds herself face to face with a killer.

The enemy of my enemy is my sister

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781945501722
DURATION 6 Hours, 53 Minutes, 27 Seconds

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

Just wow! I Mean You no Harm, by Beth Castrodale is a heart-felt, family drama/thriller that kept me hooked from beginning to end! I found myself really liking the main characters, sisters Layla and Bette. They were likeable characters with interesting backstories. The narrator, Christine Williams, was wonderful at keeping the story flowing throughout the entire novel. Her cadence was pleasant and she did a great job alternating all the different characters voices. Layla Shawn never got to know her career criminal father, Vic Doloro, in any discernable way. She’s been estranged from him her entire life, blaming him for the unsolved murder of her Mom. But when he dies, leaving Layla an inheritance of, possibly, dirty money, her sister, Bette, encourages her to accept it. As the sisters travel on a cross country trip, they begin to learn about each other and develop a relationship. Unfortunately, Layla has caught the eye of a dangerous stalker and he has more knowledge than he should about how her Mom died. Soon she'll find herself facing off with a killer.

Oh my goodness - firstly the narration really suited the book I could listen to this for hours. Secondly what a mind the author had to come up with this absolutely fantastic and so engrossing. Just had to listen to this every spare minute that I could. The story just unfolded and went one way then the other and all the loose ends were tied up. I must investigate more from this author and narrator. I was given a free copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own.

I feel like listening to this book was a kind of road trip of its own. It starts slow, doesn't really ramp up, just carries on. The tense scenes seemed like an inconvenience, rather than having you at the edge of your seat. Because deep down you know everything will work out in the end. Which it does, of course. It wasn't a bad book or story. However, I do feel it might be forgettable.