The Curse That Binds Us

Pub Date 15 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 22 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheCurseThatBindsUs #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Some curses can’t be outrun.

The secret to Redd’s past is locked away in a 400-year-old box that mysteriously appears every year on her birthday. For her entire life, her mother has kept them running from whatever lurks inside it. But Redd’s had enough of not knowing who she is. So when the box shows up where only she can find it, she opens it…and awakens a link to the evil her mother fought to keep dormant.

John lives in an old-fashioned village, a place of exquisite beauty and abundance. But such splendor demands that the villagers commit dark and unspeakable acts. When the link with Redd is unlocked, the village council believes they have an alternative. John is sent to find the one girl who could possibly save them…by making the ultimate sacrifice.

Eleanor sets off from England to America in 1587, pregnant and desperate to leave her ties with the devil behind. But when the captain of the ship refuses to take her and the other settlers further than Roanoke Island, what should be the beginning of a better life turns into a horrendous struggle to survive. Eleanor’s desire to see her daughter live at any cost will curse her and everyone around her for centuries to come…

Follow as Redd, John, and Eleanor's stories twine together in a mash-up of dark contemporary and historical fantasy. The Curse That Binds Us delves into the nuances of good and evil, the price of loyalty, and the extremes we will go to for those we love.

Some curses can’t be outrun.

Advance Praise

Lush and dark. Katie Hayoz brilliantly reinvents the history of the Roanoke settlers, balancing her tale about the devil with the perfect amount of humor and romance. --Olivia Wildenstein, USA Today Bestselling Author

Fantasy is one of my favourite genre. And I’m such a sucker for a good fantasy book, especially when it’s been quite some time for me to get hooked on to a single one that has hold my attention enough to finish it in a single sitting. I absolutely loved every single second of being in this world; loved the pacing, the characters and the word building. Henceforth, it’s quite an enjoyable read.

This book was amazing. I loved the writing style and the characters. Throughly enjoyed this. Katie brings this world to life, I found it hard to put this down.

LOVED loved loved this book. The writing had me captivated from the start to finish, and I found myself reading it almost straight through one sitting. I look forward to reading more by this author.

First of all, Virginia Dare inspired book! I love the lore and enjoyed the twists Hayoz make in this book. I love the pacing and how the author took time to explain the background story/base lore so it's easier for us reader to understand the plot and settings. I also love the world building and characters, especially Chaos :) The romance felt a bit flat at times, but the chemistry is def there. LOVE the lore and world building and def looking forward to read the next book! < Review copy received via Netgalley in exchange with an honest review >

Brilliant dark fantasy spin on the tale of the lost colony of Roanoke that all Americans learned about early in our history classes. The colony where the first English child was born on American soil…the colony that simply vanished a few years after being settled. The mystery that has surrounded that colony ever since - what happened to the colonists? Was the carving of “croatoan” a message of assimilation with the native tribes? Questions that have no answers. Here though we get a spin on the story that is equal parts dark and alluring. I mean who doesn’t love a story with a deliciously dark curse that spans centuries?! I should mention this story plays out through multiple points of view (3) - which never bothers me personally. I feel like it adds depth to the storyline. Eleanor’s POV is an imagined glimpse into the past; John’s POV spans time/worlds; and Redd’s POV gives the modern spin. I’m eagerly anticipating the next book already and was thrilled to hear this would be a trilogy that explores issues such as are people born evil or is evil situational; would you choose to take a life to save more lives; what lengths would you go to to save your child? Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion - which is easy to give with this one as I absolutely LOVED it.

I loved this book!! Multiple POV's are my jam, and with the flashbacks to the past from Eleanor, on top of the dual POV in the present, I ate this up!! I was so invested in Redd's story, and the Dare family, and how it all connected, and what the heck was going on in Eden. Definitely a great read!

It was kind of a long read. It started off slow and was kind of confusing with the different POV shifts. Once I got about 8 chapters in, it started to pick up and got fascinating. I love the cover art as well. The plot was really well done. I am interested in seeing what is next.

In 1587, a British ship came to the shores of Roanoke, today's North Carolina, USA. Two years later, the colony vanished. What can tie those events and eighteen-year-old Redd who lives in present with her mother and her secrets? Why can't Redd have a normal life? Why does she have to move constantly, practice breathing underwater and why her anger does things? Also, there is this 400-year-old artifact that comes as Redd's birthday gift every year, but she only manages to get a hold of it once she turnes 18. At the moment, this seems like an only link to tie it all together. But then this boy appears. The Curse That Binds Us is the first book in the Devil Of Roanoke Series and it ends with a major cliffhanger. I loved that it was written for three persons' perspective with going back in time and tying those events with the present. The book captivated me completely and there was not one thing I disliked about it. I loved how, although Redd didn't know about her true identity or some other mysteries still hidden in this first book, she was aware of it in part. That's why the transition between normal and unusual or magical didn't feel far-fetched or too sudden. The secrets came undone evenly throughout the book and glued me to my chair with every chapter. But, that's not the end of it! There are so many questions still waiting to be answered later in the series! I also enjoyed the language used in the book because there wasn't just one voice. For each time period, there was an appropriate language and style used which gave the book its authenticity. Of course, there is this Faustian concept that surrounds the story and that gave it this almost gruesome and mysterious note. Just like Redd is welcomed to Eden, I feel welcomed to enjoy the rest of the series. And just how Redd is deceived entering Eden, I hope to be deceived once again by the author's brilliant mystery crafting just when I think I figured it all out.

The Curse that Binds is is the first of the Devil of Roanoke trilogy where Kayoz reinvents the tale of the lost colony of Roanoke and uses it to explore how far any of us will go for love. I loved this, it’s fun but also dark and sinister, really looking forward to how this trilogy unfolds. Thanks to Netgalley for providing an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Going into reading this book I didn’t know what to expect. The first novel of the Devil of Roanoke trilogy. Hayoz reinvents the tale of the lost colony of Roanoke and she has done an amazing job at it. It’s dark and sinister but it also isn’t too serious. I love the concept of split POVs as they really give the audience an understanding of what the characters bring to the table. I could not put this book down it is so wholeheartedly interesting and suspenseful with a slight romantic tone to it, I loved this, Hayoz is a magician of words. I’m really really looking forward to how this trilogy unfolds and getting my hands on a physical copy!

Well, this was just a captivating and unique story!! It combines two of my favorites things: history and fantasy, woven into a tale that grabbed me from the beginning. The past and current threads mirror each other and tell of two very different women connected to a mystical and errie place called Eden. The modern-day thread follows Redd, living in Hidden, Wisconsin with her mother as she turns 18. Each year on her birthday, a mysterious box arrives which her mother won't let her open. Then they pack up and move in an attempt to escape the box. However, Redd has grown frustrated, angry and tired of her mother keeping secrets from her and she doesn't want to move again. So she opens the box. The other thread begins in England in 1577 and follows Eleanor Dare as she, her husband and her father prepare to move to the Colonies. They plan on settling in the Chesapeake Bay area. Unfortunate events force them to settle in Roanoke, where drought and encounters with Native tribes push the settlers to the brink of destruction. I loved finding out that Eleanor Dare was a real person and that there really was a group of settlers in Roanoke that"vanished". Using this piece of history as a base makes this such an intriguing tale and I was hooked immediately by Redd's story. Also trying to parse out what exactly Eden is and what happens there really ups the spooky/creepy factor, plus how Redd is connected to all of it. I am so looking forward to the rest of this trilogy and how all of this is going to play out!! 4.5/5 stars

I absolutely loved this book! Thank you NetGallery and Katie Hayoz for allowing me to be an ARC for this great book! The Curse that binds us, is a great dark and twisty story that sets out to explain to the reader what happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoak. As a HUGE history person, I loved this! If you love unexplained mysteries, and history you won't be able to put this book down! Katie does a great job of giving us different perspectives, from Eleanor, John, and Redd. Redd has powers she doesn't understand. Eleanor is an original colonist who gives us information about what happens leading up to the disappearance. John is asked to bring Redd home when she leaves. He doesn't plan on doing anything more than that, but life has a way of throwing us curve balls when we least expect it! I really loved everything about this story and highly recommend it to everyone! I can't wait for the next book!

I loved the blend of folklore and historical mystery that came together in this riveting story! I truly did not know what was coming next. I cycled through laughing to needing to cry to screaming at the characters while reading this book and now I NEED to preorder the sequel to get more of Redd and John in my life.

On Redd's 18th birthday, the box appears. It's the same one that has shown itself every birthday as far back as she can remember. Every time it finds Redd, her mom hides it away, and they pack up and move to a new city to escape it. Her mom won't answer her questions about the box or where it came from, so Redd decides the find the answers herself. But opening the box brings a curse from her family's past right to her front door. One highlight of this novel is how the storyline is laid out. Each chapter is told from a different character's perspective, bouncing between the past and the present. So the tension builds slowly throughout the novel, with the reader getting small pieces of the story and having to put them all together to determine what happened. It's similar to The Empirium Trilogy in how it unfolds. The readers get miniature cliffhangers at the end of several chapters, and it forces us to keep reading to see how it's resolved. Now that we've discussed the how we have to mention the what. The what in question is the plotline itself. It's so incredibly well written that readers won't know exactly where the plot is headed until well into the novel, past the point of no return. The details in each character's dealings with the curse, how those who live in Eden have come to terms with it, and how it all came to be all combine to create a chilling, heartwrenching, high tension mystery. Something readers may struggle with is that the story starts very slow. Because of how it's told, the readers need to get through three separate introductions to the world, rather than just one. However, once the stage has been set, it takes off fast. The second is that the romance seems a little underdeveloped. They both feel the instant connection, but it isn't given much time to deepen before they're both acting completely head over heels. Overall, The Curse that Binds Us gets four out of five stars. The issues stated can easily be overlooked because the plotline and worldbuilding far outweigh them. Due to the language, mild adult content, and violence, this is a novel for an audience of 18+. But if you're a fan of mysterious curses and headstrong protagonists, The Curse that Binds Us is the perfect read for you. Just be prepared to dangle off the proverbial cliff until the next installment.

Growing up in North Carolina, the mystery surrounding the Roanoke colony has long fascinated me. When I realized that the premise of this book tied into that, I was all in and immediately requested an early review copy. I thought the storyline that the author created around this was quite clever. It was told from multiple points of view and in different time periods. All of this lent to an efficient way to dispense information as needed, but never too early. It was a good way of handling things in order to keep a bit of the mystery in place. However, I was putting pieces together long before it was all spelled out for us....primarily because I become obsessed with trying to figure out a plot line as quickly as I can. I just can't help myself. I felt that the author did a good job with character development. It's sometimes difficult when you are trying to keep some of the storyline under wraps. However, I felt as if I had a good sense of who they were and what their motivations were....at least as much as they understood their own motivations themselves. The setting was eerie and creepy ....completely perfect for the storyline. I enjoyed the book. The only complaint I have is that it appears the sequel won't be out for roughly another year. I look forward to seeing how the author continues this story. There is so much more I'd like to know. Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. I voluntarily chose to read and review it. The opinions contained within are my own.

Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review! Rating: 4.25/5 stars Every year on Redd’s birthday, a box appears, one she knows holds the answers to who she is, the answers her mother keeps from her. Every year, her mother hides the box before Redd can open it—until her 18th birthday. This book was so incredibly well written, I am in awe. There are three point of views, and all three have such distinct voices; Redd and John and Eleanor all feel so completely their own characters, with even the writing style between the three adopting its own flavor. I’m sometimes iffy about multiple first person POV books, but this is honestly one of the best written ones I have ever read. Plot wise, the pacing of The Curse That Binds Us is outstanding. The tension increases so fluidly throughout the story, and everything is revealed at a time that makes complete sense and that delivers such a strong punch. Redd trying to find the answers to who she really is drives the story, and John’s moral struggles mixed with Eleanor’s recollection of the past guide this along. I was constantly hooked, reading attentively waiting for the next new juicy detail to come to light. One issue I have with a lot of books is how often the main character is the last to reach a conclusion that’s long been made clear to the reader; here, though, Redd made the connections quickly enough, and in a timeline that made complete sense with the plot. The only real reason my rating drops a bit is how frustrated I grew with how Redd reacted to these reveals. However!! This is something that is just a downfall of being someone who reviews based on emotions, because no matter how annoyed I could get, I always understood exactly why Redd reacted how she did. It was all consistent with her character, and all an understandable response based on what she’d experienced until that point. All this to say, even the very few parts that bugged me were incredibly well done. I can’t recommend this book enough; and I can’t wait for the next installment!!!

This was my first book by this author, but I will look to see what other books this author has written. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it grabbed my attention from the first page to the last. I couldn't stop reading. The premise of the book was very interesting. It is told from different POV’s and slowly the pieces of the puzzle fall together. I look forward to reading the second book because I want to know what happens next.

"I' can't read minds - how cool would that be - but o can sense other people's mental states ... In other words, I'm a freak" "You want me to seduce a girl in the Beyond?" "The scent of attraction" This book really surprised me! I was looking for a book to get me back into fantasy after a bit too much of romance ... I had almost lost the mood until this. I couldn't put it down! For every fan of "From Blood and Ash", this story has the whole deception you could find there and so much more! An incredible combination between past and present , just enough to make you understand why something happens but not enough to spoil the whole plot to the reader. A sort of enemies to lovers trope that I think will make you bite your tongue, waiting for a final "DO IT NOW", and throughout it all , magic and mystery surrounding an unknown Eden where nothing and everything is what is seems ... The writing-style makes it so much easier to get into it and follow the story-line while creating empathy with some of the characters' feeling. This plot and this story has so much potential I can't wait to find out what's going to happen to this characters in the future ... because there's gonna be a future ! "I can't get a sense of him. I can always get a sense of people. How am I supposed to know what to think of him?" "Oh, Lucifer forgive me, but I want nothing more than to hold her face in my hands and kiss away her fears" " 'Tis so easy to see in others what we cannot see in ourselves ... We are all human, yet we are not the same in the least"

Nopety nope nah no nope I’m sorry but this shit is too creepy for me Okay being completely honest I am a MASSSIVE baby when it comes to creepy paranormal things. I’m talking like pg15 stuff terrifies me. So please dont take the fact that I DNFd I 65% as an actual opinion on the book. If I knew I’d be able to sleep tonight I would have continued. Star rating is based on what I did read A fantasyesque historical but also modern day paranormal Thriller - To be honest I don’t know really how to describe it. Basically a mashup of House of Hollow and The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue We follow three POVs Redd the “main” character John the one from Eden And Eleanor from the 1800s Redd to be honest didn’t interest me much, though it’s clear she’s different and has led a different life I didn’t really get to the point of understanding her or understanding her motives - which I’d hoped I would having gotten well over half way into the book John is pretty ditto, though I did enjoy what we learned of Eden through his POV Eleanor POV Let me tell you I was on the edge of my seat figuring out what happening, I loved the fact there was a warped sense of time between all the POVs and as someone who has been interested in the Roanoke mystery I loved seeing it in this book. Slowing figuring out what and who everyone is is so gripping - and the feeling of nervousness and fear because you don’t actually know what is out there. Sinisters the word, I was never like actively scared but I felt like something was looking over my shoulder. Massive thanks to Katie Hayoz and BooksGoSocial Publishing for the opportunity to read this amazing book !

I will start by saying the cover of this book is absolutely spectacular. This book is a new take on the Roanoke colony and the mystery surrounding it. The plot of this book kept me immersed in the book till the very end and me being a sucker for multiple POVs I really enjoyed this book. I have never read anything similar and it brings the score for me a lot higher. I definitely have a lot of questions and want to read the rest of the series. A good mix of fantasy and historical fiction, like Outlander but more fantasy-ish.

I absolutely devoured this. The book begins by going straight into the action. I enjoy that that background of present day events is being told alongside that way we find out as our main character finds out what is happening. Throughout the book the juxtaposition of right and wrong, good and evil is constantly challenged. I particularly enjoyed that both our main protagonists are not inherently evil or good but are weighing up the consequences of their choices throughout. This is an absolutely fascinating take on the events that led to the disappearance of the Roanoke settlers. If you like fantasy and historical fiction then this is right up your street.

Give me a history fantasy, but add to it multiple perspectives, shifting time, and a romance. Top it with action, imagery, and a whole lot of questions, and you have this beautiful book. We meet Redd—a girl who has spent her entire life in a state of transition, the only constant being packing up and moving. There’s John, a teenager from the questionably imperfect Eden. Finally, there’s Eleanor, the historical thread tying together the tale of The lost colony of Roanoke. When it comes to atmosphere and ambience, this tale brought it. Darkness. Mystery. Romantic tension. Check, check, and check! Overall, world building was solid, characters were well-developed and absolutely lovable, and the pace was enough to keep me reading. I’ll definitely be reading books 2 and 3!

It was a wonderful read. The characters and storyline were so compelling. I truly had no idea what to expect when going into this book and fantasy usually is very hit or miss for me but this book sucked me in and i read it very quickly.

**Thank you Netgalley and the author for this ARC.**           I’ve been intrigued with the premise of this book since the moment I read its synopsis. And it did not disappoint on the whole. There were still some aspects that I didn't overly enjoy but truly the premise of this book was so so intriguing that although I didn't enjoy everything, I can admit: I could not put the book down.  Let me first say, Katie Hayoz took a famous mystery and created a new lore around it. Using the multiple POV , we got to follow  Redd --a girl with hidden power  who is trying to break free from her controlling mother. Then, we have John, the old-fashioned boy   who leaves the sanctuary of Eden to scout in the Beyond. The last POV turns out to be Eleanor Dare, one of the Roanoke colonists, who speaks of her journey to resist the devil. Although, I must admit, despite enjoying her POV the most, I still skipped some of her passages because after a while they just became somewhat repetitive. As the book progresses, their stories  weave together to form a strange, compelling narrative. The story also left me confused for a time and it took me quite a bit connect the dots about the history of the Village. However, I believe that was the author's goal so I won't nit-pick too much on that aspect. The Curse That Binds Us is as much a dark dance with the devil as it is a historical drama. This first book sets up the trilogy beautifully and I can't wait for the second installment and get to read more about Eleanor!  (and the rest of the characters, of course) ALSO, I must say Katie Hayoz's prose is truly magnificent.

This was a 3.5 stars for me - rounded up. I had a hard time getting into this one. It’s a slow build, but the second half of the book was great and definitely worth it. The main character was likable. The multiple POVs were easy to follow, but Eleanor’s was a bit boring and I found myself skimming through her sections until it started to explain the creation of Eden. Very creative plot! I especially loved the animals/pets included. Looking forward to reading the second book, as this one ends on a cliffhanger! Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to review this eARC!

I jumped in this book unsure of what to expect… and OH WAS I NOT DISAPOINTED!!! In this multiple POV book, we get the chance to follow our 3 main characters and unravel all the mysteries around their stories. This book is beautifully crafted, each answer opens the next question. I really enjoyed the multiple POV which in this book was making so much sense and made me want to hurry to the next chapter. The fact that the protagonists are also partly in the unknow makes it even more interesting. Can’t wait for book 2!

I thought this book was a really interesting take on the mystery surrounding the missing Roanoke colony. It has some fantastical elements and build well on the whole good vs evil and I like how Evil here is depicted here. I truly enjoyed the split timelines, and found both Redd and Eleanor to have compelling story lines. I like how it took a while for the two timelines to weave together, but once I started guessing at the culmination I was long since hooked and excited to find out if I had guessed correctly. Eleanor might not be a character you’re supposed to like or love, but her journey really resonated with me. Being a young, pregnant woman in a colony far from home would be no easy life, and I really cannot blame her for any of the decisions she make. Redd is more of a hurdle for me to feel for, but I end up rooting for her when she finally grows some backbone. (Kind of) I want to see where the next book takes her story. I am hoping for some character growth and maybe an enemies-to-lovers arc with our dear Jack. Will definitely be back for the sequel!

Un libro que no prometia pero que tiene un final abierto??? YAS Si me tengo que mudar todos mis cumpleaños, yo no tendría vida social, like, empezar todo de nuevo? Not my thing. Redd es un personaje de caracter bastante fuerte y amo que sus poderes esten relacionados con eso. John es medio rari, pero me encantan sus old vibes jsjsj como que al no saber ciertas cosas o no conocer ciertas comidas, lo hacían un personaje bastante divertido. Pero el romance que se presenta es medio odd. Agnes, mi amor, si pasa algo, lo mejor es comunicarlo, NO GUARDÁRTELO. Me gustaron los distintos povs, en especial el de Eleonor que prácticamente te contaba como empezó todo. Un historia que te deja al borde de la silla.

This book did not disappoint. First off, the multiple POVs were done very well, sometimes I find that multiple POV books can leave me skimming certain POVs of characters I'm not so fond of, but this book did not. I loved the buildup of suspense in this book. Every chapter left me wanting to know more about what was happening in Redd, John, and Eleanor’s life. Each character brought their own story to this book. I loved getting to know each character. The story is unique and well thought out. I can’t wait to read the next in the series.

4.25/5 Stars A fantasy book centered around the lost colony of Roanoke? Count me in. I love history and I love reading alternate takes on history. So, once I read the description, I knew I needed to give The Curse That Binds Us a read. The pacing of this was brilliant, the characters and world building were wonderful and I found myself devouring this story. The only downside here is having to wait for the next book as this one did end with a pretty big cliffhanger. This was such an enjoyable read. I definitely recommend checking it out!

The Curse That Binds Us by Katie Hayoz History and magic intertwine in this fantastical debut in a new series that had me hooked. Redd travels around the US with her mother, constantly moving, never putting down roots and always followed by a mysterious box. No one knows where it comes from, only that it shows up every year on Redds birthday and that she is not allowed to touch it. Ever. Mysterious things happen around Redd when she gets angry and on her 18th, she loses it. Fed up of moving every year, never managing to keep a friendship or relationship and the allure of this box... Redd demands that they stay where they are and of course, her mum agrees. On the condition the mysterious box does not appear. In 1587 Eleanor travels from England to America and lands in Roanoke. A land hostile to her and her people. With no one to greet them, no food and no water Eleanor and her people try and make a living off a land that doesn't seem to want them. While the devil watches from a distance... * This was such a easy read about a box, temptation, generational curses and the lengths people will go for their loved ones. I really enjoyed Redds character and her growth in this book, i genuinely don't know what direction she will go in the next book and I love that. The writing was very easy and sort of addicting, I just wanted to know what happened next! The romantic lead was very sweet but I think needed a little more development for me to really care about him but as the book wasn't about him I am not really as bothered by this. Overall a fun YA, easy to read with interesting story, and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Really loved this book. Beautifully written, twisty and turn-y and the interlinking of past and present stories was really well done. Fascinating story, can’t wait to see what happens next. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Have set it for book club. Fab book, wholeheartedly recommend.

This book was incredible! A definite page turner! The amount of intrigue and mystery in every chapter made the book be one that I could not put down. I cannot wait for the continuation of this story! I loved this book from start to finish.

Picking up this book, I didn't know what to expect. A young girl receives a strange box every birthday that she's told not to open? What a strange concept. And I was completely expecting some sort of stereotypical "there's a crown in there cause she's actually a princess" or "here's some magic powers". What I got was not only unexpected, but downright fantastic and original. Weaving in horror elements perfectly, the story opens on Redd, a girl who is very good at playing card games because she knows if you're lying. Her mother has raised her on some strange plans including being able to hold her breath for 5 minutes and having to touch a mysterious flower every morning which her mother later makes into a tea. John is also a major player, coming from a place called Eden. He is trying to find her to bring her home. However, he knows his home isn't all rainbows and picnics. In fact, he has pets that are personifications of Chaos, Evil and many more. Eden isn't exactly the Eden from the Bible. Or is it? And finally we look at Eleanor and the history of Roanoke. This thrilled me to the gills! Using such a wonderful mystery and in such an unexpected way! I loved that the author didn't shy away from showing the sexism and racism of the time. The fact that she was judged more harshly for doing the exact same thing her husband did, or that the Native Americans were still called 'savages' despite saving their lives many times. What an absolutely incredible book and I can't wait to get my hands on the next part of the story!

I love it because it is unique, the masks, flowers, fur babies and, the other story elements. One thing I love most is how history is told, tangled with the authors creative imagination. I want to know more of Eden and how will the author take the story from book one to the next. One thing that i don't fancy much, not really that big of a deal and i understand why the author chose to name him such, is the name John Smith. I totally understand Shay's reaction after learning his name hahahahahaa. Overall, I can safely say - the author knew what she was doing, with the characters and the story itself.