The Last to Vanish

A Novel

Pub Date 26 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 26 Jul 2022
Scribner, Scribner / Marysue Rucci Books

New York Times bestselling author Megan Miranda returns with a gripping and propulsive thriller that opens with the disappearance of a journalist who is investigating a string of vanishings in the resort town of Cutter’s Pass—will its dark secrets finally be revealed?

Ten years ago, Abigail Lovett fell into a job she loves, managing The Passage Inn, a cozy, upscale resort nestled in the North Carolina mountain town of Cutter’s Pass. Cutter’s Pass is best known for its outdoor offerings—rafting and hiking, with access to the Appalachian trail by way of a gorgeous waterfall—and its mysterious history. As the book begins, the string of unsolved disappearances that has haunted the town is once again thrust into the spotlight when journalist Landon West, who was staying at the inn to investigate the story of the vanishing trail, then disappears himself.

Abby has sometimes felt like an outsider within the community, but she’s come to view Cutter’s Pass as her home. When Landon’s brother Trey shows up looking for answers, Abby can’t help but feel the town closing ranks. And she’s still on the outside. When she finds incriminating evidence that may bring them closer to the truth, Abby soon discovers how little she knows about her coworkers, neighbors, and even those closest to her.

Megan Miranda brings her best writing to The Last to Vanish, a riveting thriller filled with taut suspense and shocking twists that will keep you guessing until the very end.

ISBN 9781982147310

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

Abby Lovett, manager of the Passage Inn, has lived for 10 years in North Carolina’s “most dangerous” town, Cutter’s Pass — a hop-on/hop-off point for the Appalachian Trail — that unfortunately got its bad rep for occurrences in which tourists seem to disappear into the woods without a trace. Four camping buddies went missing together 25 years ago, and then 10 years ago Alice Kelly disappeared, followed by Farrah Jordan 3 years ago and, the last to vanish, 4 months ago, Landon West, who was a journalist investigating the previous disappearances. West’s brother Trey has checked into Abby’s Inn, into the same cabin abandoned by his brother. And Trey’s queries put into motion yet another investigation about all 7 missing people.

Abby still isn’t quite an “insider” in this small town — and everyone else is divided into locals who were present during all the disappearances or just the latter few. Abby arrived just after Alice disappeared, but she is slowly discovering that all of the missing, including the original four, might not just have the woods and the Shallow Fall Trail in common, but also her inn seems to play a central role.

After a slow build up, “Last to Vanish” actually turns into a fast-paced thriller with a twisty turn of events that totally surprised me. And I love thrillers that get me engaged to the end. 4 stars! Megan Miranda has another novel to be proud of.

Thank you to Scribner/Marysue Rucci Books, Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review!

Literary Pet Peeve Checklist:
Green Eyes (only 2% of the real world, yet it seems like 90% of all fictional females): YES Celeste, the inn’s owner, has striking green eyes.
Horticultural Faux Pas (plants out of season or growing zones, like daffodils in autumn or bougainvillea in Alaska): YES Blooming rhododendron get a mention during the search for Landon in April; usually this bush doesn’t Bloomingdale North Carolina until June.
There goes a Tesla (in present day books, someone owns an electric vehicle): NO Probably not a lot of superchargers in rural North Carolina.

Megan Miranda is such a talented writer. This is the story of Cutter’s Pass where people keep disappearing and Abby is who caught in the middle of it all. I loved Abby’s character and how she keeps digging to find answers. I wasn’t able to predict the ending, which I always love!

The Last to Vanish was an atmospheric read that had me wishing for summer and a cabin at the lake!

The beginning was a little slow, but once it picked up I was invested and read this one within 24 hours.

I did find the reveal of the Fraternity Four mystery a little underwhelming, but the ending came together nicely and wasn’t rushed.

This was my first read from Megan Miranda, but I look forward to digging into her back list. Thank you to Scribner Books and NetGalley for the gifted eARC in exchange for this honest review.

The Last to Vanish hits shelves 7/27/2022!

Overall rating: 3.5 ★s, rounded up to 4 for Goodreads

Megan Miranda does not disappoint in this new novel!! This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and you'll find it hard to put the book down once you start it. Highly recommend!!

One of Miranda’s best books in my opinion. And that praise doesn’t come lightly- All The Missing Girls holds a dear place in my heart. This book absolutely builds on the suspense before handing you a whopper of a conclusion.

Cutter's Edge in North Carolina is a mountain resort with the ominous reputation as the place where people have gone missing over the last twenty-five years. Abby has been working at Cutter's Edge for a decade, as a hotel manager, and living in employee quarters on the property. The resort owner Celeste and her late husband built the resort, and leaves the running of the hotel over to Abby and another employee Georgia.
Abby becomes embroiled in trying to solve the numerous disappearances near the mountains behind the resort, and from the tiny town close by. There are many twists and turns to keep the reader turning pages.

My favorite Megan Miranda book!
⭐️
Abigail Lovett let her home ten years ago after her mother passed. She never knew her father and she did not have any siblings. She packs up her car and lands in the resort town of Cutter’s Pass in the North Carolina Mountains. She lands a job at The Passage Inn, and the owner quickly takes her under her wing. A mother/grandmother figure who along with her deceased husband built this resort from the ground up. She has always been an outsider to the locals, but some warm up to her. After all, she is related to the owner’s deceased husband, and she is highly loved by this community.
🥾
One of the benefits of the guests is this resort has a lot to offer, including hiking trails that lead you to a beautiful waterfall. We learn very early on that many tourists have turned up missing, some known to have hiked the trails. An unexpected guests shows up and it turns out he is the brother of the missing and he wants answers.
🥾
This novel is one you won’t put down and full of twists and turns. It had me guessing until the end if the person responsible for the disappearances was a local or a stranger. Abigail is tied to this town and she is torn as she finds clues to who might be responsible. Can she figure out the mystery before more go missing?
🥾
Thank you NetGalley, Megan Miranda and Scribner for this advanced copy. This book comes out July 26, 2022
#meganmiranda, #netgalley, #scribner, #bookreview, #bookstagram, #stamperlady50, #mystery, #riveting, #bookyoucannotputdown

Initial reaction : hhdjajrjcowmkapgbiamc 😳

I LOVED this book! It's been a while since a thriller has left me so satisfied 😭

A rustic inn. The Appalachian Trail. A string of mysterious disappearances. A small town full of secrets.

SIGN ME UP!

This is my favorite Megan Miranda so far by a long shot and one of my most anticipated 2022 reads and it did not disappoint. 👏

There are so many twists and red herrings that even if you piece together one of the puzzles, you'll still be shocked by so many more!

My heart was racing for the last 25% of this one and not only because I was reading it while on the treadmill 😂

Thank you so so much to @scribnerbooks and @netgalley for sending me this one and to @meganlmiranda for writing such a wonderful book 🎊

Do yourselves a favor and pre-order this one! It's out on July 26th!

It's been ten years. Ten years since Abby Lovett came to Cutter's Pass, NC after her mother's death. Ten years to become one of them...a resident. She loves her small mountain town, but it has its flaws, such as having seven And visitors in twenty years simply vanish.

Now Abby meets the brother of Landon West, the last to vanish. He's come looking for answers. And Abby begins to believe they need to be unearthed, even if it means hurting those she loves.

This is Megan Miranda in her top form. Small towns in the woods, close-knit communities, residents with secrets. And the atmosphere of fear and claustrophobia she creates is first-rate. This is my favorite of her books since The Girl from Widow Hills. Read it.

A great page turning thriller. I loved the setting in the foothills of the Appalachain Mountains. I loved the town full of history and secrets. I was scared of the idea of hikers just disappearing. A great mystery!

For me, reading this book reminded me of when I first read All The Missing Girls and couldn't put it down. This is the best book I've read by Miranda in a while as it kept me guessing and the way the story was developed was fantastic. Set in a small North Carolina town, notorious for a handful of missing people over the years, the main character, Abby, tells her story of working at the Inn. Trey, the brother of the last missing person has arrived to find answers and conversation with him gets Abby thinking about what she really knows about the people and place she has made her home the past ten years. Good twists, slow building tension, I really enjoyed this one! Thank you netgalley for this arc in exchange for my honest opinion.

Megan Miranda is one of my favorite domestic suspense and thriller authors. “The Last to Vanish” is an excellent addition to her collection!

I enjoy Megan Miranda’s books although sometimes think of them as sort of fluff reads- a good story if you don’t look too hard at them. Nothing that is award worthy but nonetheless a good quick read. Recently I realized that I LOVE books that take place in a wilderness setting especially the Appalachian Trail and unfortunately there aren’t a ton of good fictional thrillers out there that take place there so when I read the description of this book I was excited especially because I do already read all of Megan Miranda’s books.

This is her best book to date. I’ll be honest, while I was reading it, while I was fully immersed and had a hard time putting the book down, I kept waiting for some substance to the book but it seemed to consist of character profiles and backstory on the town and while that is important, I started getting antsy. I had already started to formulate my review which included words like predictable and lackluster but I was so wrong. I thought I had the book figured out but I was so far off base, so far off. The end of the story is where all those weird nuances in the book that seem out of place or details not fully fleshed out come together with a one, two punch to the gut and all start to make sense with sudden clarity.

There is nothing I love more than a book that is unique and doesn’t have a plot that has been rehashed a million different times but when you get one that also has a twist that you couldn’t see coming a mile away, it’s a sure fire winner for me. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars. Don’t sleep on this one! It’s one of the best books I’ve read this year.

A Megan Miranda book promises a suspenseful and well-plotted mystery and this is the best of all of her titles I've read. Clues that all is not as it seems in the secluded resort town of Cutter's Pass are sprinkled throughout the book, building a sense of unease as you read your way to a surprising and satisfying conclusion. I loved the main character Abby, who despite living in town for decades is still considered something of an outsider, the resort-town setting, both eerie and glamourous, and the solid cast of supporting characters who were intriguing each in their own way.

In THE LAST TO VANISHN Megan Miranda once again delivers a thriller with her signature gifts of whiplash pacing, stunning surprises, and an increasingly claustrophobic sense of pace. Intense and never predictable, this book is a gift to thriller readers.

Many thanks to Scribners and to Netgalley for an early look.

This is one of my favorites by Miranda so far! The story is set in a small town, full of secrets and mysterious disappearances. I found myself shocked by many of the twist and turns and was on the edge of my seat for the last few chapters! Highly recommend preordering this one and reading it asap!

This book was full of adventure and intrigue. The author’s descriptions of the isolated setting are spot-on. You feel like you’re really there! Great book!

I devoured this book! The writing was fantastic and the story line kept me guessing. I did not suspect the killer and the twists at the end were perfect.

I'm a huge fan of this author! The setting of a small North Carolina town was what drew me in. The characters were described so well that I became immersed...like a silent viewer of everything happening around me. Loved all the twists and surprises. I couldn't put this down! I highly recommend this book. 5 stars from me.

This book is a great for lover of a good mystery. I felt compelled to keep reading because I HAD to know the result of all the missing people in this book. I was surprised and satisfied with the ending! Highly recommend.

This is Megan Miranda's best book yet! It bears the hallmarks of her previous thrillers--notably, a young woman who embarks on a new life, yet cannot leave her past entirely behind--and provides even more twists and turns than usual. The book is set in the small town of Cutter's Pass, adjacent to the Appalachian Trail in the mountains of North Carolina, and the protagonist, Abby, manages an inn at the foot of the mountains. The evocative setting, both the town and the inn (as well as the townspeople) are described in detail...but the seemingly idyllic place is marked by the disappearances of a number of hikers, over a period of nearly 25 years. When the brother of the last man to vanish shows up, looking for answers, Abby. becomes invested in the puzzle again. The story unfurls backwards, through the disappearances, as Abby slowly learns more about each event, and about the people she thinks she knows. The climax reveals connections that I did not anticipate, leaving me highly satisfied. The structure of the book is perfect for the unraveling of this thrilling tale, which I just could not put down. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC of this highly recommend book!

Set in the beautiful Appalachian countryside, The Last to Vanish is a wonderful mystery by Megan Miranda.

Abby still feels like an outsider even after years of living in Cutter's Pass; she manages an inn where people mysteriously began to disappear. When the brother of one of the vanished shows up to investigate the disappearances, Abby's hackles rise and she becomes embroiled even further in the investigation. She wants to protect the image of her inn, but she also wants to know what happened.

With a host of equally suspicious characters, it isn't easy to figure this one out right away and this is one area where Miranda always shines.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one by Megan Miranda and can't wait for her next! Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

Megan Miranda writes intricate plots full of well-developed characters and surprising twists that keep you guessing the whole time. The Last to Vanish is a story in which a journalist vanishes while investigating a North Carolina mountain town that’s home to several unsolved missing persons cases. His brother shows up looking for answers and teams up with local inn owner Abby Lovett to find out what happened. As they edge closer to the truth, however, Abby realizes that her tight-knit town may not be what she thought it was, and she may not know her neighbors as well as she thought she did. Atmospheric and thrilling, Megan Miranda does not disappoint!

Thank you to Scribner/Marysue Rucci Books & NetGalley for the eARC.

Megan Miranda knows what she is doing when it comes to a good thriller. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. She is able to hook readers in from the get go and keep them wanting more.

Thus book was amazing as always with her books . I highly highly recommend this thought thr book had a very good storyline abs the characters were very Interesting

Countless times out hiking in the woods, I’ve thought, this is the perfect setting for a book. Megan Miranda has created just that eerie location in her newest release, The Last to Vanish. Set in a small town close to the Appalachian Trail, Abigail has been managing a cozy inn frequented by vacationers, hikers and people attracted by the town’s notorious past. Six visitors have vanished in the past 30 years and now the town is back in the headlines.

I loved the main character and her relentless pursuit to solve the mystery. The book builds into a series of unpredictable twists and is hard to put down. Miranda’s detailed descriptions make you feel like you’re right on the trail and at the inn. Another winner for Megan Miranda! Thanks to Scribner and NetGalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.