I Did It Myself!

I Can Get Dressed, Brush My Teeth, Put on My Shoes, and More: Montessori Life Skills

Pub Date 06 Dec 2022 | Archive Date 06 Dec 2022
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #IDidItMyself #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

With a toddler-sized hairbrush, a mirror hung at just the right height, and the step-by-step photos in I Did It Myself!, children aged 2 to 5 are on the path to mastering self-care skills. From getting dressed to washing hands, brushing teeth, and applying lotion, each activity fosters independence, builds concentration, helps develop motor skills, and encourages responsibility. Inspired by the Montessori curriculum, the unique book format features an interactive skills chart that's included on the inside back cover, with sturdy slider windows for each activity. This offers toddlers the perfect incentive to make self-care a daily routine, as they complete each activity, slide the window, and confidently declare, “I Did It!”.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This book was a wonderful read for me and my daughter and her growing independence. She is always wanting to do things like mommy and this book had her smiling and wanting to do more by herself.

What a fantastic book to use with / alongside children to teach them all the basic skills they need to be independent at home. It has very clear, simple and child-friendly photographs to help guide the child step by step through each skill. This treasure of a book will help build a child’s confidence with day to day tasks, helping them believe they can do things for themselves. The added section at the end for parents /carers is a real bonus too.

Thank you to Storey Publishing and Netgalley for an eARC of this book to read and review.

I did it myself is a wonderful book for parents and children explaining step by step on how to teach every day life skills such as washing your hands. The pictures provided and simple explanation will help you to empower your child to be independent as well as it helps you laying out the ground work for them to master the tasks themselves. It is simple, quick and easy to understand. It truly is Montessori at home but as such not just useful for Montessori families but for every family. A true must read and absolutely a 5 star book.

A very informative book for young children learning to develop independent skills. A variety of skills/routines are covered with step-by-step pictures and instructions. It even includes a chart to measure progress for each skill. Children will love feeling successful when they master these tasks!

Thank you Storey Publishing and NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

We are a Montessori family and this book is perfect for teaching little learners new skills of daily living. This book is well thought out and easily followed by little learners :)

Reading I Did it Myself with my 3 year old was such a fun experience! Even though he was already familiar with many of the tasks, it initiated conversations about why we do certain things. I recommend it to every parent of a toddler or preschooler!

This book has all the tools to help your toddler and child learn to do activities of daily living (ADLs), learn manners and learn how to make new friends through conversation. I really liked the step-by- step instructions and illustrations accompanying each instruction. It really helps a child focus on each activity. It also teaches about children about personal hygiene .
I would definitely recommend this book .
I think it would make a great addition to any home and school library as well !

I love this practical, diverse, well laid out Montessori material. Montessori's principals of real life, order, and approachable for age level are well laid out in this cute resource book! I love that children can see the steps, see the materials they need, and then replicate them well. I would put this in both my home and my classroom as a Practical Life material.

I Did it Myself is a picture book for younger children to learn how to do daily care activities independently. The activities include: brushing teeth, washing hands, getting dressed, brushing hair, putting on socks and shoes, putting on a coat, how to cough/ sneeze/ yawn; how fo meet someone new, how to excuse yourself, applying lotion, quiet time and meditation. The book contains photographs of a diverse group of children actually doing each activity. Each activity also gives a simple reason why the activity is important, which is perfect for children who always as why the have to do something. There are also pictures of the tools needed for each task. The child can slide when they complete each task.
There is also a section for guidance for grown ups which explains why it is imperative for young children to learn these skills.
I really liked this book. I can see this working very well for families with young children. It could also be used in a preschool setting. As a special education teacher to elementary students with autism, I plan to add this to my classroom library to help students who still need to learn these skills. I like that there are pictures of real kids, so the students have that visual cue to reference. I also like that in the section that shows how to meet new people includes looking the person in the eye if you are comfortable, which is important for our neurodiverse learners who may not be able to do this. This is also useful to use as a task analysis to help scaffold learning for students with special needs. I wish that this book had removable pictures so that I could put the visuals where they would actually be used, such as hand washing by the sink and putting on a coat near the coat hangers, so I may modify this book to do that.

I was given an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book so much it is so cute. This book explains in a simple way how to do very important self-care tasks. Beautiful picture illustrationsfor each task plus a paragraph explanation of the picture task.. the tasks they learn can last a lifetime and should aid in the morning rush at home to get out the door. Like all kids I would expect these children would need to be coaxed to keep moving..Yes, I believe this book could be very beneficial if given a chance..in the beginning reading and discussing with your child, even explaining expectations. Then let the kids read it on their own asking questions if they get stuck. Thanks to #NetGalley, publisher, #SaniyyahKhalilah, and #IDidItMyself for the advance copy.. Yes, I will be recommending..

LOVE THIS BOOK! The gentle approach to independence that is the highlight of Montessori is front and center in this book. Seeing children who are confident and proud of their accomplishments is truly inspiring. The tasks are varied and essential, including getting dressed, putting on your coat, meditating, excusing yourself from a task, brushing your teeth, washing your hands, and more! The added addition of the slide bars in the back of the book allows a feeling of accomplishment that is authentic and powerful. There truly aren't enough lovely things to say about this book!

This book title made me smile. It was my daughters favourite phase when she was a toddler. Not what you want to hear when she released her car seat restraints on a motorway.
This book is perfect for preschool and foundation children. A way to teach children how to do simple tasks using pictures and words. From brushes your teeth. To excusing yourself from the table. Can help with manners, development and reading. There is also a way to mark off tasks at the rear of the book.
Loved the fact that the book had pictures of multiracial children so everyone feels included.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to see an ARC

I Did It Myself! by Saniyyah Khalilallah is a fantastic Montessori resource for young children aiming to master independent skills for getting ready such as brushing hair and teeth, putting on clothing and footwear, and how to meet someone new or excuse yourself. I loved the easy to follow steps and inclusion of pictures with real children instead of illustrated photos. This useful little book includes a slider for kids to visually show "I did it!" for each skill learned along with tips and guidance for adults at the end of the book.

I will definitely seek out these books once they are published and would recommend for anyone with preschoolers, toddlers, young children seeking more independence, and for children on the spectrum.

Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to see and review this book. My daughter enjoyed this book. She liked the vibrant colors and all the pictures in this book. She really enjoys when I am reading to her and she can look at pictures along with learing to do things on her own. She likes to do whatever the book I am reading to her. It is a great tool for her to learn as I am reading to her.

This is one of the series of books that celebrates children learning to be independent and follow some of the Montessori methods. I love this concept as a way of demonstrating to parents what the preschool philosophy is all about as well as portraying images and non-fiction pages at the level of a young child.

Parents, teachers, and librarians should all have a copy in their library.

Loved the pictures and step by step instructions in this book. Makes it easier for little ones to learn the skills. Probably best for ages 2-3.5.

This is an awesome children's book, which teaches children how to practice self-care, by being able to wash themselves, brush their hair, apply lotion and brush their teeth. The photos in the book are great, and my daughter and I had a lot of fun reading through the book together. Highly recommended!

Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book. I think it would be empowering to both children and parents. Kids will love engaging with the pictures that make understanding each step simple and using the interactive “I did it!” task list at the back of the book. I honestly think this is a great tool for parents who often don’t realize how much their little ones can do all on their own. I think this Montessori teacher has really effectively translated Montessori practices and ideas into a book. There are a lot of families interested in Montessori in my community and I would gladly recommend these books to them. They are so practical and easy to use. This author accomplished a lot with these books! She quickly got across how to implement Montessori practices at home without having to explain theory that might make the book feel more intimidating to use to a young parent. This would be a great resource in a home or an early childhood classroom library.