How We Live Is How We Die

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 04 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HowWeLiveIsHowWeDie #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Discover newfound freedom in life’s ever-constant flow of endings and beginnings with the wise words of Pema Chödrön, beloved Buddhist nun and bestselling author of When Things Fall Apart

As much as we might try to resist, endings happen in every moment—the end of a breath, the end of a day, the end of a relationship, and ultimately the end of life. And accompanying each ending is a beginning, though it may be unclear what the beginning holds. In How We Live Is How We Die, Pema Chödrön shares her wisdom for working with this flow of life—learning to live with ease, joy, and compassion through uncertainty, embracing new beginnings, and ultimately preparing for death with curiosity and openness rather than fear.

Poignant for readers of all ages, her teachings on the bardos—a Tibetan term referring to a state of transition, including what happens between this life and the next—reveal their power and relevance at each moment of our lives. She also offers practical methods for transforming life’s most challenging emotions about change and uncertainty into a path of awakening and love. As she teaches, the more freedom we can find in our hearts and minds as we live this life, the more fearlessly we’ll be able to confront death and what lies beyond. In all, Pema provides readers with a master course in living life fully and compassionately in the shadow of death and change.

As much as...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Wonderful book by Pema Chödrön. Confession, I will read anything she writes, and she penned this book in her 85th year! She shares teachings on life and death and how to work with difficult but human emotions, and the fear inherent in change. Her books are always written in a simple, easy to read, style, as well as being compassionate and wise. Highly recommended for anyone who missed but would appreciate the instruction book on how to "do" and live life. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

This book describes bardo,a term used in Tibetan Buddhism for the intermediate stage between death and life. These teachings are based on an ancient text. The Tibetan Book of the Dead, which describes the various experiences the dead person will go through and serves as a guide to help them through what is thought to be a disorienting journey from this life to the next. This book also addresses, in a profound and moving manner, the question of why we are afraid of death and what we can do to prepare for a peaceful transition. Index. Appendices. List of suggested readings.

Though I don’t share Peña Chodron’s Buddhist path and practice, I constantly learn from her teachings as I seek and often find intersections with my own Mussar study and practice. She is wise, compassionate, and entertaining in a wisdom kind of way. Another string offering from a wonderful teacher.

I have to say I may be biased but I love Pema Chodron! I have followed this author for years and being in her 80's and still helping us with her teachings is amazing . In this book she takes on the subject of death and transitioning. Everyone has their own beliefs about what comes next if anything after death. With everything that is going on in the world today, this book could not have come at a better time. I am looking forward to getting a hard copy for my library when it is released.

Thank you to NetGalley and Shambhala Publishing for allowing me this ARC.

As usual, Pema provides lots of wisdom, of which, she is a highly dependable source. I read a several of her books and always find them helpful and comforting. Recommended.

Thanks very much for the free ARC for review!!

Pema Chödrön’s “How We Live is How We Die” is a must read for any person desiring to learn from a spiritual master. You will live more bravely, wisely, and compassionately after reading this book!

Pema Chodron is a Buddhist nun who has great insight to offer. In How We Live Is How We Die she teaches the reader how to live with change - the constant shift between life and death, beginnings and endings.

Full of insightful thoughts - helping readers understand how to accept change with curiosity rather than fear - she leads up to training us to die as we live.

Very uplifting and easy reading for such hefty thoughts.