Forever Cousins

Pub Date 20 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 20 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ForeverCousins #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this Native American story, Kara and Amanda are best-friend cousins. Then Kara leaves the city to move back to the Rez. Will their friendship stay the same?

Kara and Amanda hate not being together. Then it's time for the family reunion on the Rez. Each girl worries that the other hasn't missed her. But once they reconnect, they realize that they are still forever cousins. This story highlights the ongoing impact of the 1950s Indian Relocation Act on Native families, even today.

This tender story about navigating change reminds readers that the power of friendship and family can bridge any distance.

Kara and Amanda hate not being together...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Thank you, Charlesbridge, for the advance reading copy.

I just love this cheerful and colourful book so much!

The story reminds me so much of my childhood days! The language is so easy and fun to read, perfect for the kids. The readers will be more aware about different colours and get to learn some new words.

The illustration is different and basic which makes the reading so much easier.

We all have a cousin who we adore, right?
All the family vibes with this one!

My daughter is very close with her cousins, so this book was a treat for her! I loved the unique illustration style and the sweet story. The language in this book is perfect for early learners. We are currently learning about what it means to be a cousin, so this book is perfect for that!

Thank you to Charlesbridge and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this book and all the characters. Great flow of story. It was a great way to show kids that even when separated you can have a great relationship and that family is family no matter how far apart you may live from each other.

The pictures that went with the book were well done.

Overall, I would read more by this author.

My 7 year old liked this story. She didn't like that the girls got separated but liked it when they got reunited again. My 9 year old wasn't overly keen on this book as she found it boring so I felt it was too young for her. Some of the words are a bit difficult to pronounce but that is the traditional words. The Story and illustrations were sweet

This is the story of Kara and Amanda who are best friends and cousins. When Kara’s family moves from the city back to the Rez, the two worry about whether their friendship will sustain the distance. At their family reunion on the Rez the following summer, both girls are nervous to see each other again. But they quickly fall back in to the close friendship they always had.

My 4-year-old twin girls really enjoyed this book. One of my daughter’s immediately loved Amanda since her favorite color is purple, and the other attached to Kara since her favorite color is pink. The colors are themes carried through out the book.

This is a beautiful story about family, friends, and bonds that can’t be broken by distance. I highly recommend that people take the time to read and discuss the Author’s Notes at the end. The author discusses her family’s experiences and the treatment of Native people in the United States. The notes are informative and give valuable context for the story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Charlesbridge for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this Native American story about two young cousins that had to move away from each other. This made me think of the distance I had between my own cousins as a child but also made me imagine the separation through my child's eyes.

I love the message that even though cousins may be separated geographically for a time period, when they get together, it is as though nothing has changed.

I would love to add this book to my son's library and think this would make a wonderful birthday present for a child.

Thanks so much to Charlesbridge for the chance to read and review this children's book prior to release. This book will be available for purchase in September.

This is a heartwarming story starring two sweet Native American cousins, Kara and Amanda. They are not only cousins, they are best of friends.

Unfortunately Kara must leave to move back to the Rez. Both girls are heartbroken regarding their separation and wonder if their special friendship will remain the same or change forever.

They experience separation anxiety and hate that they cannot play and spend quality time together. A family reunion is planned on the Rez and the girls are shy and apprehensive thinking perhaps when they meet up again things won't be the same. Will they be correct or will they remain forever loving cousins and forever best friends?

This story highlights the ongoing impact of the 1950s Indian Relocation Act on Native families, even today. The illustrations are beautifully done, colourful, vibrant and expressive. This is a powerful inspiring story of friendship, family ties and the grandness of LOVE! I highly recommend this book.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC!

What a sweet book! I think it will appeal to many people. Lots of children experience moving away from friends and family, and it's a hard change to make. I love that this book incorporated modern technology (like video calling) to show that even when apart, people are closer than ever. I also learned a little about Hidatsa culture through this story.

What a beautiful book! It tells a story of two Native American cousins and what happens to their bond when Kara and her family move to the Rez. I would get this book for my children as they are in a somewhat similar situation where we live abroad, and they miss their cousins as they cannot see them regularly. I can see many children in similar circumstances enjoying this book. The illustration was wonderful, and I loved when Amanda and Kara exchanged dolls at the end, adorable.

However, I really think this is also interesting and educational for adults. I loved all the references to Native American culture (Hidatsa, powwow dancing etc.) as I was not familiar with them. The information about the federal Indian Relocation Act of 1956 at the end of the book was very interesting (as well as shocking since it didn’t happen that long ago). This book would be helpful when trying to introduce such a difficult topic to children. I loved that as an adult I could get so much out of a children’s book.

Thank you NetGalley and Charlesbridge for an advance readers copy, 5 stars!

This book shares the story of cousins who have grown up together but are facing a geographical separation. They are please to find that their connection remains as strong and joyful as ever when they reunite at a summer powwow. Back matter gives information on the Indian Relocation act and how it created reservations and continues to cause frequent relocations and separations in family. The strength and joyfulness of cultural traditions and family connection shines through.

This was a cute book. The illustrations were bright and colorful. The text highlights a lovely relationship between two cousins, separated by a move. I love how Amanda and Kara stayed in touch throughout the year and I loved their reaction to seeing each other again at the reunion.

The author's notes provided insight into the treatment of Natives in North America and her own relationship with her extended family.