Waiting for Paint to Dry

Pub Date 29 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 31 Oct 2022
Lia Mack, Blissfully Beguiling Books

Talking about this book? Use #waiting4paint2dry #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Since sprinting away from her sister's wedding (and knocking over a bridesmaid in the process) Matty Bell has lived in a self-made monochromatic life of work-eat-sleep-survive.

In and out of work, she hasn't seen her family in over a decade, lives vicariously through her best friend's seemingly perfect life. And the only goal she has (other than filling her stomach) is to avoid any and all reminders of her birthday. It only brings her pain.

But when life catches up with Matty on the night of her unexpected (and unwelcome) surprise 30th birthday party, she sets out on a nerve-wreaking last-minute trip home to confront her family that might just result in her coming full-healing-circle. Except, showing up unannounced has Matty staying at her sister's ocean front home, alone, with only thoughts of that buffet-of-a-man she sat next to on the plane dancing in her head.

And there's also that pile of left over paint, daring her to take redemption into her own hands.

From the author of "Hard-Hitting Fiction, with a Dose of Healing-Humor," comes a serious yet laughter-filled healing story of one's woman journey to reclaim her life, find inner-peace, and stumble into love...

A Goodreads “Best Contemporary Women’s Fiction” Listopia Book

A Goodreads “Favorite Chick-Lit/Women’s Fiction Books” Listopia Book

5-STAR NET GALLY REVIEWS

"8/10! Amazing book I loved it. Once I really got into it I couldn’t put it down. I was disappointed there wasn’t much of a reunion with Matty and her parents. I felt that was a bit disappointing. I want to know more about how Matty moves on and her future. I am so excited for book two! And the view it’s going to be." - Meghan K.

"Hard to read at times but enjoyed it." - Teresa T.

"While this read has to do with heavy topics, triggers, trauma and everything that comes along with it... it's also a book about healing and I think changing the narrative and giving people hope that they can heal from something like this is incredibly important." - Hazel P.

5-STAR AMAZON REVIEWS

"A beautiful book about hope and recovery for sexual abuse victims." - Dr. Patricia K. Martin, Clinical Psychologist, Verified Purchase Amazon Review

"Gripping Tale of Healing with a Dose of Humor." - GranJan, Verified Purchase Amazon Review

"Complicated and hard to put down." - SusieS, Verified Purchase Amazon Review

"Expertly written." - meg, Verified Purchase Amazon Review

"Wonderful book - written from the Heart!" - Laurel E.

"Prepare to cry." - quilter 218

"Want to experience sunshine after the rain? Read this novel!" - YZPat

"A great explanation of the effects of rape and post-traumatic stress." - Edna A.

"Sensitive Approach to a Traumatic and Difficult Topic-- Particularly as the First Time Book of This Author." - Sheila

In and out of work...

Advance Praise

First Edition Praise of WAITING FOR PAINT TO DRY

"Lia Mack writes a beautifully eloquent painting of a life... reminding us that we paint the picture of our lives and even if it starts dark, we can frame it with a happy ending." - Angela Shelton, Award-Winning Director & Survivor Advocate

"This isn't a book only about ugliness and trauma... Uplifting... full of heart and hope and featuring an appealing heroine and trauma survivor." - Kirkus Review

"Lia Mack has written a raw and wrenching novel about rape... and the soul-crushing aftermath of such trauma. Watching Matty Bell move from shut-down victim to triumphant survivor is a stirring experience... An inspiring and powerful tale." - Yona Zeldis McDonough, Author of The House on Primrose Pond

"This blistering psychological powerhouse of a love story will make you get up and cheer the glory of self-reinvention." - Mindela Ruby, Author of Mosh It Up

First Edition Praise of WAITING FOR PAINT TO DRY

Marketing Plan

Maryland debut author Lia Mack aims to raise $10,000 for the DC based sexual assault hotline RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) through the sales of her healing and inspiring sexual assault/PTSD focused literary fiction novel’s special second edition, Waiting for Paint to Dry.

A hard-hitting novel, with a dose of healing-humor, the fictional tale is derived from the author’s personal healing journey from PTSD due to rape, plus the many survivors stories she heard while conducting research for the book. From these collective stories, Mack created a fictional tale that has helped many survivors laugh, heal and find peace after sexual assault trauma.

Waiting for Paint to Dry can be promoted during two awareness months: Sexual Assault Awareness Month (April) and PTSD Awareness Month (June). Mack enjoys speaking to and interacting with readers, writers, and survivors alike.

“Lia Mack has written a raw and wrenching novel about rape… and the soul-crushing aftermath of such trauma. Watching Matty Bell move from shut-down victim to triumphant survivor is a stirring experience… An inspiring and powerful tale.” – Yona Zeldis McDonough, Author of The House on Primrose Pond

"This isn't a book only about ugliness and trauma... Mack's novel is an enjoyable tale that transforms ugly duckling Matty… into a swan.” – Kirkus Review

“As a therapist I was pleasantly surprised... dealt with the healing of a very tough subject while maintaining a wonderful storyline. Loved the book." – Dr. Patricia K. Martin, Clinical Psychologist

“This blistering psychological powerhouse of a love story will make you get up and cheer the glory of self-reinvention." – Mindela Ruby, author of Mosh It Up

Originally traditionally published in 2015, the novel’s fundraising efforts for RAINN didn’t reach Mack’s $10,000 goal, hence the rebirth of Waiting for Paint to Dry in a special second edition form, being re-published under the author’s own publishing imprint in April 2022.

To help with this effort, the book is additionally available in special quantities for bulk purchases for therapists, support groups, fund-raising, and educational use.

In addition to her new debut novel, Lia Mack’s creative non-fiction has appeared in The Washington Post, Nickelodeon Jr. Magazine, Advances in Bereavement and Nesting Magazine. She is also a contributing author at The Survivor Manual (www.SurvivorManual.com), a site dedicated to inspiring and empowering sexual abuse survivors. Lia is a resident of Maryland, and grew up an Air Force military brat from Kansas to Michigan to Texas to Colorado and Italy to Maryland. Visit her online at www.LiaMack.com.

For signed copies or to schedule an interview: 410-533-9062 / LiaMack@yahoo.com.

EDITION Ebook
PRICE

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really, really enjoyed this book! It was captivating and it hooked me from the very first chapter! It had its slow moments, but for the most part I really enjoyed!

this is a book about overcoming trama and having hope for the future. hard to read at times but enjoyed it.

This is a tough subject. A woman who was raped as a teenager and never told anyone. She disassociates and tries to forget but deals with frequent triggers so with her therapist she is trying to heal. The second half of the book deals with her healing journey

It's hard to rate a book that deals with such a heavy topic. Unfortunately it's also a topic that's more common than most people think. While this read has to do with heavy topics, triggers, trauma and everything that comes along with it... it's also a book about healing and I think changing the narrative and giving people hope that they can heal from something like this is incredibly important.

This is a book that deals with a challenging subject matter, and so it's important to check trigger warnings before reading.

The author navigated this book's tough subject matter well, and she crafted a beautiful story taking the readers through Matty's decade-long journey of healing. Despite the long time period this novel covered, I stayed engaged and rooting for Matty for the majority of the novel. The first part was the hardest to get through (both because of pace and content), and I am curious what further details we get on Matty and her story in the sequel.