Miss Newbury's List

Pub Date 07 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 21 Feb 2023

Talking about this book? Use #MissNewburysList #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

England, 1820

Rosalind Newbury is counting down the days until her wedding to the Duke of Marlow, a man she has only met twice. The marriage is more an agreement between two families and less a romantic connection between two hearts, but Rosalind becoming a duchess will elevate her family’s status to dizzying heights. And the duke is a kind man who will care for Rosalind, even if he doesn’t love her.

She only has three weeks before her life changes forever, and she knows exactly how she wants to spend her days. As a child, Ros was inspired by her adventurous Aunt Alice and created a list of ten things to do before her wedding day. So far, Ros has done none of them.

She is determined to tackle each item, though she’ll have to accomplish them all in secret. After all, a soon-to-be-duchess is not usually allowed to bury treasure in the pasture, eat sweets all day, or learn how to swim. She enlists the help of her best friend, Liza, who brings along her cousin, Charlie, a prodigal son-turned-boxer who has come to the countryside to mend his reputation and learn how to be his father’s heir.

Together, the three of them work to complete the list, and as each item is crossed off, an unlikely friendship blossoms between Ros and Charlie. The more time they spend together, the more Ros falls in love with this imperfect man and his good heart.

With the wedding looming, Ros must decide to either admit her romantic feelings for Charlie and risk her family’s future, or keep her promise to marry the duke and start a new life as a noblewoman.
England, 1820

Rosalind Newbury is counting down the days until her wedding to the Duke of Marlow, a man she has only met twice. The marriage is more an agreement between two families and less a...

Advance Praise

"Walker dazzles readers with a wonderfully surprising Regency romance about self-discovery and following one's dreams to new beginnings. The fresh premise is an immediate hit, and the exquisitely paced plotline strikes a satisfying balance between pursuit and reflection for its delightful characters. The chemistry between the always proper Rosalind and Charlie positively glows with yearning. It is a resounding success for Walker, whose talent for emotional intricacy and smart wit elevate the standard of excellence in the genre."

Booklist, starred review

"Rosalind's clear affections for her loved ones contrast with her feelings of dread about the increasing social restrictions she faces. Her sense of duty inspires her. And Charlie, an outcast because of his unconventional choices, ignites her curiosity. His gentlemanly concern for Rosalind's safety; his empathy about her reluctance to become a duchess; and his teasing encouragement to unearth the truer facets of herself result in a warm, playful connection. Their romance is both daring and restrained. Miss Newbury's List is a gentle, moving romance novel that's inspired by kindred companionship and crossroad reckonings."

Foreword Reviews

"Delightful Regency. Walker's latest sparkles with sweet romantic moments as Rose defies societal and familiar expectations in the name of love. This is a treat."

Publishers Weekly

PAGES 320

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Miss Newbury's List by Megan Walker is a wonderful historical fiction that is a part of the charming Proper Romance series. I loved it!

I have always enjoyed every one of the Proper Romance novels, and this one did not disappoint. This is another English Regency romance novel that engages, entertains, and leaves one with a smile on their face throughout.

I love the threads of historical fiction, mystery, and even a few surprises, that were added to the gentle and slow-burn romance. I also love how Ms. Walker gives the main female character, Rosalind, is given a personality with strengths, hopes, desires, interests, imperfections, and has a mind of her own. I like how through this story, she is also looking within herself to find her sense of identity and future at the same time as finding happiness and romance. This isn’t just a traditional 1820s English romance, it is so much more.

I liked the full cast of characters and the cute concept of completing this list before her marriage. I won’t spoil this for others, but let’s just say that she surprises herself as the boxes are being checked…it is just too cute.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 2/7/23.

Rosalind (ros) and Charlie made the perfect duo in this book. I loved how our heroine took control of her life, even in proper regency romance England. I love that she had a list of things to do before she got married, not a list of qualities to look for in a man. This was such a good twist on that. I had a list of qualities and was far to focused on that instead of living. I could have done so much more living instead.

Thank you to netgalley for an advanced readers copy. All opinions are my own.We

I love Charlie!!! What a great character. He is flawed yet perfect for Rosalind. He helps her discover her true self and what she really wants out of life. The list idea is brilliant. I loved seeing how Rosalind and Charlie completed each item on the list. Such a fun and romantic book. I would highly recommend!

I luckily got an ARC copy of this book and I decided to let it jump to the top of my TBR. I am so glad I did. This was such a sweet story of love conquering all and that family always comes first.

Miss Newbury is engaged to be married to a powerful handsome and wealthy Duke. She should be excited, but all she can think about is a list she made years ago that contains 10 things she wants to do before she married. Now time is running out and she must complete her list before it is too late. In comes the dashing Mr. Charles Winston, reforming cousin of her best friend/ neighbor Ms. Eliza Ollerton. Together can they finish the list before her wedding day?

This book releases in February and is now up for preorder. I definitely recommend this one!

#MissNewburysList #netgalley

I really loved this book! It was romantic, funny (it made me laugh out loud at parts), suspenseful, and beautifully written. Descriptive without being flowery or distracting. I love the characters that Megan Walker created. Lovely book that I recommend to any lovers of historical romances.

**I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher via NetGalley. While I am grateful for the early access, my opinions and words here are my own--as always.**

Miss Newbury's List was so good. I could create lots of hyperbole here to describe the complete satisfaction I had while reading it and at the last sentence, but I won't. Just know this was an enjoyable historical fiction with a good dose of romantic attraction and tension.

Rosalind is the eldest daughter of a gentleman and lady who obediently agrees to marry the duke her father has arranged for her to marry. The alliance would elevate her family's social standing, ensure her safety and security, open doors of opportunity for her brothers careers and marital matches as they came of age, and allow her to wield heavy influence in society her whole life. Without a season in London to find love on her own, skipping the middle madness of the season's marriage mart to go directly to the desired end seemed an obvious best choice.

Perhaps obvious is not always best. Rosalind had more she wanted to do with life before becoming an almost all-powerful duchess of duties to all but herself. Inspired by an idea shared at the wedding of a beloved aunt by the beloved aunt, Rosalind creates a list of ten things to do before she marries. She thought she'd have plenty of time to do those things. But the aforementioned shortcut to the marriage wiped out all the time she had planned on. Time to get down to business. Time to rope a friend, Liza, and her visiting cousin, Charlie, into the adventure.

Ready, set, go!

I always feel a bit guilty when I inhale a book so quickly when I know took the author a long time to write the drafts and suffer through all the edits. But glory it was good.

This was so much fun. I was super tempted at the 60% point to read the end to reassure myself this was worth the emotional investment. But I didn't. I kept reading.

The ending was nicely done. I'm not sharing anything here. Just...thank you, Megan, for making it happen as it did. I loved every character that was introduced and the way they gave insight into other characters and prior plot points.

Seriously, I have high praise for the crafting of it, the characters, the settings, pacing, and conflict.

As usual, there was a supporting character not given much page time, but just enough that I was curious about their background and future. I've already asked the author to please write their story ASAP.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to rereading Rosalind's story more than once.

Stop it this book was so cute! Megan Walker wrote one of my top two favorite Regency romances ever so to say I was excited for a new book is a huge understatement! I am so happy to say I was not in any way disappointed. I absolutely devoured this one and enjoyed every moment. Charlie was so so so utterly swoony and sweet Rosalind - so much respect for her heart! I can't wait for everyone to read this one! Congrats to the author on knocking another one right out of the park!

Review with photo with be posted to IG closer to pub date.

This was absolutely delightful. The plot was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. The characters were charming and witty. I highly recommend this fun and quick read! Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

A solid 3 1/2 stars.

Rosalind is engaged to be married to a duke, much to her family's delight and advantage.

After finding an old list she wrote when she was only 12, inspired by an aunt who was bold, she decides to do everything on that list with her best friend Liza's help.

Liza's cousin Charlie is staying with the family after getting in trouble boxing, and he gets involved in helping Rosalind accomplish the items on said list.

I think I would have liked it better if Rosalind would have updated her list instead of stubbornly following everything she'd written as a child. It would have been more meaningful.
It has some funny scenes and tender moments, and kept me interested until the end.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.

No surprise, this new Megan Walker regency romance is fantastic! Megan is an engaging and entertaining writer and this novel does not disappoint!

Rosalind Newbury must do what is best for her family. And what is best is marrying a neighboring duke to unite their families. She does not love him, but she does love her family. Remembering her aunt's advise from year prior, she finds a list of ten adventures to complete before she marries. She gets her neighbor and best friend, Eliza, to help in her endeavors, but that also includes her friends wayward cousin, Charlie.
Charlie Winston, is running away from his family and duty. He does not want the responsibility that has been given to him following the death of his brother. There is no way he can live up to his brother's example. Charlie finds himself at his cousins home, who is trying to reform him, and meets the beautiful and alluring Miss Newbury.
Intrigued by her and her list of adventures, he agrees to help finish the list before her wedding day.

This is a sweet story of a young woman, trying to do her family proud, but feeling lost. A true feeling for many of us today, trying to be something we are not, trying to fit in, or just trying to fill our souls.
Rosalind is to marry a Duke, but remembers a list of things she made when she was 12 to do before she is married. She determined to complete that list. Ros is full of life and spunk, and feels the completion of this list will make her complete and ready to move forward with the life her parents want for her.
But sometimes our lives go down different paths, and experiences change us, as happens with Ros. Her excitement for life and adventure introduce her to new ideas, but can it all work out?
This is sweet, clean, and a good book on realizing what is truly important in life and of trusting family, because you never know...

This book was so great. I love Megan Walker's historical proper romances. They are well written with great Characters. I love the plot with Miss. Newberry trying to finish her list before she has to get married and in the process falls in love. If you love historical romances then you will love this book.

You know the Christmas movie Elf, when Buddy is shouting "I'M IN LOVE, I'M IN LOVE AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT?!" I feel like this is the perfect way to describe how much I loved this book. I adored Rosalind and Charlie, I love seeing their relationship grow and change. It was fabulous!