Biography of a Fly
by Jaap Robben
Send NetGalley books directly to your Kindle or Kindle app
To read on a Kindle or Kindle app, please add email@example.com as an approved email address to receive files in your Amazon account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
Also find your Kindle email address within your Amazon account, and enter it here.
Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 11 Dec 2022
For readers of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse comes a beautifully illustrated philosophical book on the value of friendship and life, told from the perspective of a fly, and a gift book for all ages.
What if you were thrown into existence in the middle of your life, with numbered days left ahead of you? Would you see the world in the same way? In his inimitable style, Jaap Robben answers these questions through the unexpectedly witty lens of a fly, from the moment it enters the world as a larva right up to its deathbed. Watch this humble fly throw himself into life and his unlikely friendships with gusto, however short that life may be. Irresistibly charming, funny, and sprinkled with entomological details, this is a moving tale for any stage of life, about how we are all ultimately alone, and yet also together.
- “It is a perfect marriage of art and words, with Faasen’s simple palette and combination of extreme close-ups and wide angles reflecting the specificity of the fly’s life, and the big, existential themes that Robben’s words convey. So winning and so full of heart.” —Riveting Reviews
- “Full of wonderful sentences and witty dialogue.” —Trouw
- “Irresistible.” —Het Parool
- Early finished sample copies available January 2022
- Trailer available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7tMwU2omM
- Originally told via a series of posters and billboards displayed throughout various cities. Walking tours or poster projects can be replicated anywhere – already interest expressed in Vancouver
- Plans for a family concert by Vancouver’s Symphony Orchestra, based on the story of the book
- Signed copies available
- Visual digital campaign using assets based on the posters, possibly organized like a blog tour where one installment posts every day
- Landing page for Jaap’s work, featuring all three titles
- Advertising and displays at main gift shows
- For lovers of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy and Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- Holiday gift baskets to key editors for inclusion in 2022 gift roundups
- Handmade feel, collectors item, for museum shops, book and art lovers of all ages
Average rating from 14 members
Readers who liked this book also liked:
Julie E. Czerneda
Robin Wall Kimmerer; Monique Gray Smith
Leah M. Webb