Just Gus

Pub Date 04 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 18 Apr 2023

Talking about this book? Use #JustGus #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Return to the world of devoted working dogs and the humans they love in a new book from the best-selling author of Stella.

Gus is a livestock guardian dog with one job—protecting his farm from coyotes and foxes. He likes keeping the sheep, the chickens, and his humans safe, and he’s very good at it.

One day, Diego and his dad come to visit the farm, and Gus immediately connects to the small boy. They both like to sit still and enjoy the quiet, and Gus can tell that Diego likes being around a gentle giant of a dog, that it helps relieve the boy’s constant worry.

When Gus detects the scent of a bear in the woods, he rushes to protect his flock, injuring his leg in a fight with the dangerous beast. Wounded, Gus needs to rest and heal away from his sheep, so he doesn’t risk reinjuring his leg. Diego suggests Gus come home with them to the North Carolina coast.

Suddenly, Gus is thrust into a new world of saltwater and sand and neighbors who don’t appreciate the presence of a large guard dog, like the neighbor who reminds Gus of his first owner—the junkyard man with the heavy boots.

Gus realizes Diego might need a friend as much as his sheep need a protector, but if he can’t learn to control his instincts, like barking and patrolling the neighborhood, Gus might lose his chance to stay in his new home. If he can’t protect the farm or his boy, Gus worries he might never find his place in the world.

Just Gus is a tender story of belonging and of two friends who learn they are better together than they were alone.

Gus is a livestock guardian dog with one job—protecting his farm from...

A Note From the Publisher

STELLA by McCall Hoyle is nominated for eight state book awards in 2022-23: TX, NE, OK, NM, PA, KY, ME, FL.

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 208

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Just Gus by McCall Hoyle is a wonderful fiction that speaks of life, love, adversity, and friendship between humans as well as canines.

This is such a wonderful and heartwarming story. The friendship between boy and canine was so genuine and really tugged at my heart. As someone that really loves dogs and feels the need for their presence in my life, I really identified with this story. It may be geared towards tween and young adults, but adults can easily enjoy and identify as well. I read this first before sharing with my son. I know he will love this as well.

Diego and Gus present as a wonderful pair that through their introduction and partnership of sorts, both find love, acceptance, and a place to belong.

Highly recommend.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 1/24/23.

I adore Gus's story just as much as I loved Stella's story. It was fun to see Esperanza, Close, Nando and Stella again as well as meet new characters. I love dogs and McCall seems to write books that make my heart happy because she truly understands dog and is able to write their stories.

Just Gus is such a heartwarming story. Diego has anxiety and Gus is the perfect calm for his storm. The love and friendship between Diego and Gus is amazing and really touches your heart especially for animal/dog lovers.
I highly recommend this.

Thank you to McCall Hoyle, Shadow Mountain Publishing, and Netgalley for this ARC!