Unbroken: The Trauma Response Is Never Wrong

And Other Things You Need to Know to Take Back Your Life

Pub Date 14 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #Unbroken #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A profound new approach to healing trauma, grounded in a radical reframing of how we understand this nearly universal experience

For centuries, we’ve been taught that being traumatized means we are somehow broken—and that trauma only happens to people who are too fragile or flawed to deal with hardship. But as a researcher, teacher, and survivor, Dr. MaryCatherine McDonald has learned that the only thing broken is our society’s understanding of trauma. “The body’s trauma response is designed to save our lives—and it does,” she says. “It’s not a sign of weakness, but of our function, strength, and amazing resilience.”

With Unbroken: The Trauma Response Is Never Wrong, Dr. McDonald overturns the misconceptions about trauma with the latest evidence from neuroscience and psychology—and shares tested practices and tools to help you work with your body’s coping mechanisms to accelerate healing. Here, you’ll explore:

• What is trauma? The latest science that undoes the stigmas of shame, blame, and humiliation
• Moral injury—having our basic sense of how the world should work overturned
• The truth about triggers—what they really are and how they can guide the healing journey
• Traumatic patterns—new findings to help break free from recurring habits and toxic dynamics
• Why we can always rewrite our inner narratives, no matter how much time has passed
• Finding a “relational home” for trauma—how we can help each other return to wholeness

Dr. McDonald’s case studies reveal the many ways trauma can manifest and persist in our lives, yet there’s one factor every case has in common: the trauma response itself reveals the path to healing. “Our traumatic experiences reveal that we can be bent, dented, or bruised,” she says, “but we cannot be broken.” For anyone who has gone through trauma or wants to help others who are struggling, here is an empowering resource for finding our way home to our bodies, rebuilding our relationships, and returning to full engagement with life.

For centuries, we’ve been taught that being traumatized means we are...

PAGES 192

Send to Kindle (PDF)

If you're anything like me, you approach books about trauma with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'm not saying that I don't believe in the existence of trauma or that I think people who have experienced it are somehow weaker than others—I absolutely don't. But as someone who has experienced trauma, I've often felt like the topic is misunderstood by society at large, and that can make it hard to trust books about it.

I am so happy to say that this is not the case with Unbroken: The Trauma Response Is Never Wrong by MaryCatherine McDonald. Dr. McDonald is a researcher, teacher, and survivor who has dedicated her life to understanding trauma and the ways in which it can be healed. In this book, she overturns common misconceptions about trauma and shares tools and practices to help readers work with their bodies' coping mechanisms to accelerate healing.

Dr. McDonald's passion for her subject is clear on every page of this book, and her knowledge is impeccable. She draws on the latest research from neuroscience and psychology to explain why the body's trauma response is never wrong—and in doing so, she empowers readers to trust their own instincts and intuition when it comes to healing from trauma.

This book is an important read for anyone who has experienced trauma, as well as for anyone who wants to understand more about what trauma is and how it can be healed. It's filled with compassion, wisdom, and hope, and it left me feeling inspired to continue my own journey of healing. Thank you, Dr. McDonald, for writing this essential guide to unbreaking our hearts.

I knew, ideally, this book would be significant --- I didn't know it would be so engaging, interactive, and accessible. It's like a self-help manual to empathizing with yourself and taking the right steps forward. I'd recommend this book to pretty much anyone who is interested in recovery/healing/understanding trauma. Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC!

A fascinating look at trauma and yje trauma response in the han body. As someone who suffers from chronic nerve pain, this was a refreshing reas that validated feelings I have. For those who have trauma and for those that love people that do, a must read.