The British Booksellers

Pub Date 09 Apr 2024 | Archive Date 09 May 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheBritishBooksellers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Inspired by real accounts of the Forgotten Blitz bombings, The British Booksellers highlights the courage of those whose lives were forever changed by war—and the stories that bind us in the fight for what matters most.

A tenant farmer’s son had no business daring to dream of a future with an earl’s daughter, but that couldn’t keep Amos Darby from his secret friendship with Charlotte Terrington…until the reality of the Great War sobered youthful dreams. Now decades later, he bears the brutal scars of battles fought in the trenches and their futures that were stolen away. His return home doesn’t come with tender reunions, but with the hollow fulfillment of opening a bookshop on his own and retreating as a recluse within its walls.

When the future Earl of Harcourt chose Charlotte to be his wife, she knew she was destined for a loveless match. Though her heart had chosen another long ago, she pledges her future even as her husband goes to war. Twenty-five years later, Charlotte remains a war widow who divides her days between her late husband’s declining estate and operating a quaint Coventry bookshop—Eden Books, lovingly named after her grown daughter. And Amos is nothing more than the rival bookseller across the lane.

As war with Hitler looms, Eden is determined to preserve her father’s legacy. So when an American solicitor arrives threatening a lawsuit that could destroy everything they’ve worked so hard to preserve, mother and daughter prepare to fight back. But with devastation wrought by the Luftwaffe’s local blitz terrorizing the skies, battling bookshops—and lost loves, Amos and Charlotte—must put aside their differences and fight together to help Coventry survive.

From deep in the trenches of the Great War to the storied English countryside and the devastating Coventry Blitz of World War II, The British Booksellers explores the unbreakable bonds that unite us through love, loss, and the enduring solace that can be found between the pages of a book.

• Split timeline: WWI and WWII
  • Stand-alone novel
  • Book length: 118,000 words
  • Includes discussion questions for book clubs

PAGES 384

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Everything I have ever read by Kristy Cambron is always a treat and of the highest quality, and this book was no different. What sets her apart is her breathtaking prose, her excellent characterization, and the quality of her historical accuracy. Combine that with books, lost love, and redemption during WWII Blitz and you are swept away yet glued to your seat! Absolutely wonderful! I recommend all her books, but I believe this one is my favorite and her best yet! TEN STARS!
In short, this was a fantastic WWII novel that is unputdownable. Authentic details and superb writing raise this book above the rest. I really enjoyed it and will read anything this author decides to write!

Another great read from one of my favorite authors. I loved reading the story from multiple perspectives and was so happy that the book had a happy ending.. The mystery was a great benefit too. It was a fantastic read and I could hardly put it down.

This is a beautiful, heartfelt story that begins in 1914 through 1915, when WWI, known as the Great War, is happening. Amos Darby, the son of a tenant farmer, and Charlotte Terrington, the daughter of an earl, have secretly been best of friends since childhood. The story unfolds during the challenges and hardships of the Great War and is expertly woven into the time of the 1940s when WWII, Hitler and more devastation is imminent.
As they Amos and Charlotte grow older, a true affection develops between them. They even discuss marriage. However, the Earl of Harcourt chooses Charlotte to be his wife. Her parents are in favor of the match, and Charlotte feels she is destined to a loveless marriage.
During the saga of the second war, in the 1940s, Charlotte is a widow, and has an 18-year-old daughter, Eden, who is determined to preserve the legacy of the father she never knew. Unexpectedly a lawyer from the United States shows up during the war, with a lawsuit that could end everything Charlotte and Eden have worked hard to save.
Over the many years between the end of WWI and the beginning of WWII, Amos, and Charlette both own competing bookshops on the same street, nearly across the street from each other. Although they have never spoken to one another in many years, they never lost their love of books or the value they play in life.
This captivating story has many interesting facts and details of the eras in which it takes place. I loved all the details and descriptions of life during the challenge of living through two wars. There is a large cast of intriguing, delightful characters. This is a fast-paced story with numerous surprises and secrets.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed and remarks are totally mine.

This complex and compelling book covers both World Wars in dual timelines. Some of the characters are affected by both wars, along with other players in each period. I laughed. I cried. I stayed up late reading. Cambron describes the affects of the war on the area around Coventry in heart-breaking detail, and makes it come alive because I cared about the people it affected.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own." #TheBritishBooksellers #NetGalley

Another powerful dual timeline by Kristy Cambron. This novel encompasses both WWI and WWII. The central theme is the impact of different events on our lives and how we deal with them, how they shape us into who we are, but also the choices we can (but might not) make. Ms. Cambron tackles this topic through the pain, struggles and growth in the lives of Charlotte, Amos and Will. The setting is mainly around Coventry in the U.K. with some scenes set in France during WWI. Besides the huge life lessons, the reader learns a lot about history, in particular the German attacks on and around Coventry. As always, the research is impeccable, in-depth and beautifully woven into the story. Very likable main characters, and a bad guy with a hidden surprise side which comes to light after many years. The author brings in many different aspects and some other unexpected elements that are super interesting and keeps one reading as if there’s no tomorrow. She’s an excellent writer and you feel part of the scenes. When there’s a piece that needs to have a number of facts summed up, she does it in such a gracious way that you don’t even notice that she just packed a bunch of information in half a page. Ms. Cambron has very much mastered the art of showing versus telling. Favorite lines “Books are an escape that beckons the reader from the heavy burdens of this world”, …”that tall dreamboat over there…”, “When you read a book as a child, it becomes part of your identity in a way no other reading in your whole life does…” I once read “Number the Stars” (about WWII in Denmark) with a class. Fifteen years later, one of my former students visited me (he had moved to Europe and so had I) and said, “My love of history started with that book.” To all you history lovers, the British Booksellers is another one you do not want to miss!

Kristy Cambron takes you on an emotional and heartbreakingly beautiful journey in the British Booksellers. With the perfect transitions and balance between two different timelines, I was captivated by our main characters stories and life changes especially through times of war. I was blown away by Kristy Cambrons ability to weave the past with their present so flawlessly and unravel the twists and the turns in such a bittersweet way. The character growth in this book was some of the best I’ve ever read, especially the redemption story of one particular character. You see different types of love portrayed throughout the book and the strength it can give in times of weakness. You will find themes of forgiveness, redemption, courage and faith all woven together to tell the story so beautifully, and it all begins with a boy and a book and a girl and her cello and the friendship between them.

Kristy Cambron has done it again!! The plot was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. The characters were well-developed; complex, and intriguing. I highly recommend this beautiful telling of the power of love. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

THE BRITISH BOOKSELLERS by KRISTY CAMBRON is a beautifully written family saga that takes place in Coventry, encompassing the first and second world wars. This author’s command of the English language and her understanding of human nature is remarkable. This is the story of people’s lives and how they are affected by war, not only that between nations but also between one another. It is about secrets, second chances and unconditional love. Books play a huge part in the novel and in Charlotte and Amos’ relationship, as does Charlotte’s cello playing, as they meet in the glass house from their childhood until things change….
There are true events such as the destruction of Coventry, and real people such as King George V1, backing up the fictional parts of the story. I like the “tea queue” set up at Waverley Novels in Bayley Lane, the Land Girls who bring light and laughter into everyone at Holt Manor’s lives, and who are treated as family as they work hard and bravely for the war effort. Also the enigmatic American lawyer, Jacob Cole, who soon becomes part of the family - what is he really doing there?…..
I am not going to tell you any more for fear of spoiling things for you.
I really enjoyed The British Booksellers, with all the tension of relstionships and the poignant love stories against the backdrop of the horrors of war, and found the book most inspirational. I cannot recommend the novel highly enough.
I was given a free copy of tye book by NetGalley from Thomas Nelson. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

The British Booksellers explores as Kristy Cambron does best, how the past influences our future. This book travels back and forth from WW1 to WW2 through the main characters of the story Lady Charlotte Terrington and her daughter Lady Eden Holt.

Lady Charlotte Terrington is a heiress who is in love with one of her childhood friends Mr. Amos Darby, however life and circumstances leads her life away from the dream both planned when they were younger.

Lady Eden Holt is the daughter of Lady Charlotte and William Holt. She’s is the only heiress of her father state and expends every waking hour working to make her dead father proud by preserving her crumbling inheritance until a young and dashing solicitor from America, Mr. Jacob Cole, appears and threatens everything she held dear.

Secrets needs to be discover and heartaches need to be mend in order for this story reach a happy ending.

Even though, the back and forth story telling might confuse some readers, I do believe that it’s the only way to actually narrate both stories while explaining the connection between them.
I learned so much about the Coventry Blitz disastrous event while also learning about the first WW1 events in France. Therefore, I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. Now, I’m hooked up on this author that surprisingly I just discover though NetGalley.

Wow. She’s done it again. Kristy Cambron somehow writes books that break my heart but the story is so good that I come back again and again. Deep, poignant, and real, her stories capture me and this one is no exception.

There is incredible loss, sacrifice, love, and just about every other emotion one could think of in this book. Cambron's writing has you grieving what you know is coming but also, when it happens, you just want to sit with the characters in their pain. Even though my life in no way mirrors that of these characters, somehow I can relate to them. Cambron makes their emotions accessible to a modern reader and that is a gift.

There are, however, light-hearted moments as well. Such as:
"You carry an emergency book?"
"Doesn't everyone?"

I highlighted and bookmarked a LOT in this book, because there is so much wisdom in it, but these two I think sum things up very well:

"... love meant to accept all - the grit and the grief alongside beauty. To endure the harshness of life not with despair but hope."

"Some pain would never go away. Some choices, never alter. But if they'd learned anything from the beauty and brokenness of this world together, it was that light always overshadowed the darkness.

This is an intriguing and heartbreak story the spans WWI (the war to end all wars) and WWII. War causes so many terrible things, but it can also bring people together.
Those in England did not escape Hitler’s wrath. They two had many casualties and bombed out buildings to rebuild. But that helped each other and in this tale even found love.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it took a real event and made a great fiction book out of it. Kristy Cambron does a great job in writing this type of story and creating characters that felt like they belonged in this world. I was invested in what was going on with the characters and the world set. I enjoyed everything that happened and thought it worked well in the historical fiction novel.

A beautifully written love story that spans two world wars.
A teenage friendship, and a love of books, but from two different worlds. A story filled with music, books, sweet romance, and tragedy.
A story that draws you in and doesn't let go, and through out most of the book we end up at war. A heartwarming read, that made it a page turner for me.
Be sure to read the epilogue, a gift!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Thomas Nelson, and was not required to give you a positive review.

This story is about a man who came home after WWI, opened a book shop as a recluse. He was scarred and hid away. He had been good friends with Charlotte. She married another man only to become a widow later. As WWII comes around, they must work together to keep the things they love. Living through the Blitz is something I cannot imagine.

Kristy Cambron weaves a riveting dual-time novel set in WWI & WWII. Amos Darby - a farmer's son - and Charlotte Terrington - an earl's daughter - form an unlikely friendship as children. Their love of books - albeit different ones, draws them close and as they grow up, daring escapades and laughter binds their hearts. But soon war interferes as well as society and before long they take very different paths. Jump ahead to WWII and Charlotte's daughter Eden is trying to keep the family estate from crumbling. Enter an American solicitor with a lawsuit in hand and what will become of Eden's future? Then a devastating bombing hits their town of Coventry and all those who are at odds put their differences aside to pull together. Skillful character development and gripping war-time scenes had me on the edge of my seat! This was an amazing novel!

I adore Kristy Cambron's novels. She has a way to captivate her readers all throughout her stories. The British Booksellers is no different. I loved it. Five stars.

There’s a lot to love about this story centered in Coventry and on her people— loves, mysteries, hopes, dreams, war, anguish, healing, hope—and in the end all is as it should be. War is never pretty, but hope and healing prevails. Recommended.

An incredible, atmospheric, page-turning, clean romantic historical fiction book about WWII. I adored it, and I'm an avid reader who doesn't easily assign books "5 stars", but this one earned that rating to the core.

In this duel-timeline novel, Charlotte and Amos are neighbors growing up in the early 20th century, but their stations in life are disparate and even though they fall in love as children, circumstances keep them apart. Fast forward to the early days of WWII, and Amos and Charlotte are both living in Coventry, England with their separate responsibilities and shared past scars that keep them apart. The author reveals details of their past slowly, which kept me engaged and turning every page to find out what really happened decades ago. I was rooting for the couple throughout the whole book, in addition to thoroughly enjoying the stories of the endearing side characters. As a excellent historical fiction book should do, this book taught me a ton about WWII that I didn't know previously, without ever feeling like a droll history text. I loved this book and I think the story and characters will stay with me for a long time.

This is the first book from Kristy Cambron that I've read, but I already requested more of her titles from my library and shared the information about this book with a friend. I fell in love with Kristy's atmospheric writing style, ability to weave details in the early text that will be important later, and her masterful way of showing instead of telling.

Content: Clean, kisses only.

Thank you to NetGalley and Tommy Nelson Fiction for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

This was an absolute treasure. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Kristy Cambron creates engaging characters and captivating settings, all with a background of the early years of World War II in England. There was so much that was enjoyable--the delayed romance, the moments of suspense, and the inclusion of competing bookshops. I can honestly say that it was one of the best historical romances I've read this year.

A compelling novel that weaves between WWI and WWII and a story of all that's lost and found between the two. It also highlights the secrets that can come between us and those we love. It is only in revealing those secrets and letting the light seep in that freedom in found. Kristy has again crafted characters you will enjoy spending time with and set the story firmly in an important part of WWII history. If you weren't aware of the history surrounding Coventry, you'll be gripped by all that the people living there endured. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

I loved this book.

Very easy to read in a sitting. The second chance theme was beautiful. I loved how love won even after so many years.

My favorite was Eden's and Jacob's story. Love truly transcends culture.

The author did a beautiful job in writing a novel about war but still bringing out beauty.

I received a copy of this book and this is my honest opinion.

I always love how Kristy Cambron brings the reader so fully into the story world. THE BRITISH BOOKSELLERS provides another wonderful example. This is a beautiful, heartfelt story that brings WWI to life through the characters of Amos and Charlotte. There is another timeline the focuses on the onset of WWII. In this jump forward we see that Charlotte is now a widow with a teenaged daughter. She is faced with the task of protecting her father's legacy in the face of a contentious lawsuit.

The emphasis on bookstores and the love of books adds another delightful and relatable layer to the story.

There is a large cast of characters to keep up with; however, the author does a good job of keeping the reader's attention.

I received a complimentary e-galley of this title; all opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own.

This is a beautiful and heart-rending novel based on the true events of the bombings in Coventry. The novel covers both world wars from the views of two families from the aristocracy and a tenant farmer. I could not put this down as the story was so compelling. Definitely recommend.

A captivating tale of the complexity of humanity told through the stories of so many individuals, I finished this book in a day. Cambron weaves together the stories of multiple family members over time with incredible fluidity. Set in Coventry, England during World War II, with references back to pre-WW1, these are the stories of strong women on a mission, complemented by men seeking to understand the complexity of the human experience through various parts of their lives. There are elements of mystery, a bit of romance, and quite a bit of vivid and powerful imagery of the what the people of Coventry experienced during the war.

The book begins with an early introduction to the young characters whose stories will be told throughout the book, grounding you with a firm understanding of their long withstanding affections for each other. The powerful imagery of what transpires next helps you see the characters, as they are now, and what experiences have shaped the personalities that help them come off the pages. You can easily imagine the haughty expressions of Lady Eden as she handles Jacob and the perceived silliness of the Land Girls, the tenderness of Charlotte, and the gruff exterior of Amos, and the brash audacity of Will. The characters in this book are as complex as their experience, and the backdrop of both Holt Manor and Coventry highlights the beauty of their characters in contrast to very difficult circumstances.

Make no mistake, this is a story about humans, not merely about war-torn experiences. It highlights the choices we all make and the importance of love, forgiveness, and redemption.

Young Charlotte Terrington loves playing her cello and reading books. Her parents only approve of one of those activities. After all, heiresses in England must adhere to strict propriety guidelines in all they do. Even if those guidelines go against their nature. Amos Darby, son of a tenant farmer, becomes her conspirator in music—he reads while she plays. Together, they have an idyllic childhood, and as they mature, both acknowledge their friendship has blossomed into something deeper.

But as the world careens toward the Great War, each has a choice. Choose each other or choose duty. Charlotte’s parents want her to marry the heir to their neighbor’s estate, the future Earl of Harcourt. If she chooses duty, Charlotte will forego love. Duty wins when Amos fails to meet her at the blacksmith shop in Gretna Green.

Twenty-five years later, war looms again. Charlotte, a war widow within a year of marriage, spends her time raising their daughter, running a quaint bookshop in nearby Coventry, and scheming ways to keep her husband’s estate solvent.

Her first love has opened a rival bookshop across the street and spends his time as a recluse, eager to hide his horrific battle scars from curious friends and neighbors. Although they work in the same village and live near each other, Charlotte and Amos haven’t exchanged a kind word since the Great War.

Lady Eden, Charlotte’s daughter, schemes to save her inheritance with her mother. When a young, handsome, brash American lawyer shows up on her doorstep questioning her right to receive part of his inheritance, Eden doesn’t know what to think.

When Hitler decides to drop bombs on Coventry, everyone must put the past aside to survive the present.

What I Loved About This Book

Cambron has mastered the time-shift novel and knows exactly when to leave storylines hanging and readers wondering what will happen next. Each story unfolds seamlessly, revealing secrets at just the right time. The historical details help readers understand the pathos of the period and the deprivations faced by ordinary citizens who must step up in extraordinary ways during times of war or disaster.

Fans of Roseanna M. White will enjoy this latest beauty from Kristy Cambron.

It's been a while since I've read a Kristy Cambron book. I've almost forgotten how satisfying her stories are. The newest offering from this masterful author once again proves why she's a favorite in the historical fiction world. Set in Coventry, England during the early days of WWII, the history of the blitz of this area is seamlessly woven into a tale of regret, misunderstanding, bravery, sacrifice, and redemption between star-crossed lovers. The flashbacks to what happened between Amos and Charlotte during the years of WWI flow beautifully into how they work together during WWII preparing for an inevitable blitz of their beloved city.
I loved Amos and his loyal, tender heart beneath his gruffness. He was so real - complete with scars, hurts, secrets, and shame. Charlotte and her strong, steady spirit was admirable. I liked Charlotte's daughter Eden and her independent attitude and outlook. And Jacob, the American solicitor, rounded out the fabulous main character set and added a heaping dash of charm, fun, and intrigue.
It's a beautifully written historical fiction that probes at the meaning of community, humanity amidst war, forgiveness, and sacrificial love.

I received a complimentary copy courtesy of Thomas Nelson via NetGalley and was under no obligation to post a positive comment. All opinions are my own.

A wonderful immersion into the lives of childhood friends who are challenged by social barriers, family expectations and even by war. Charlotte and Amos are kindred spirits, but of differing social classes. They are bound by an undeniable love and admiration for one another, but separated by circumstances over which they either have no control or have an incomplete understanding. Also factored into their choices is a sense of honor that prohibits them from crossing boundaries that they see as possibly harmful to the other. The author brings forward the horrors as well as the heroics of war.The beauty and heartbreak of sacrificial love is woven into both personal relationships as well as into love and duty toward ones country. A lovely read and highly recommended.

"The British Booksellers" was a beautiful work of historical fiction. The idea of warring bookstore owners was appealing itself, but to combine it with lost love, the horrors of war, secrets from the past, new love, and resilience was even better. The cast of characters is great -- Amos, Charlotte (Charlie), Eden, Ginny, Jacob, Flo, Dale, etc. I liked the way the author alternated between the past and present, giving the readers little pieces of the history of Amos and Charlie and how they came to find themselves in their current circumstances. How Jacob was connected to the Holt family (Charlie, Eden) was quite creative. His intrusion into their lives served well as a partial catalyst to unlocking years of hurt and pain between Amos and Charlie. The book has its fair share of twists, none more surprising than the actions of Will. Book lovers will enjoy the banter between Amos and Charlie over the merits of certain authors and categories of books.

I was captivated by the writing of this book. Going back and forth in time from the early 1900's to the aftermath of WW II, I was intrigued by the way in which the author kept certain facts hidden from view until late in the book. The characters were engaging. The plot lines of what took place during WW I and WWII were involved and frightening. Bravo to the author for pulling off a grand story!

The British Booksellers drew my attention because of the title implying the story would take place in bookstores. While it did take place in two bookstores, that was not truly the focus of the story. Competing bookstores are across the street from each other in the Enclish town of Coventry yet people are unaware of why there are the two stores and the owners who apparently dislike each other immensely. As you read the book, you learn the backstory of the two families and how they are connected.

Written with a dual timeline, The Brisish Booksellers focuses on Charlotte, daughter of a wealthy family, who is best friends with Amos, son of a farm worker on her family's land. They share the love of reading, which Amos absorbs almost through his pores, as he assists Charlotte in her love of playing the cello...a very unladylike musical instrument. As with all dual timelines, the reader has to keep track of the time period and locations of the parts of the story.

The story's timelines are 1908-1915, which encompasses WWI, and "current day" of 1940, WWII. The earlier time period focuses on Charlotte's and Amos' youth, her marriage into a wealthy family, and his service in the military. The friction between the classes of the families is a major problem and shows how the different classes could seldom interact. By the 1940s, both Charlotte and Amos have aged and changed greatly, seldom acknowledging each other and as far as most people know, they are enemies..but why, no one knows.

Towards the end of the book, we do have bombings taking place in WWII. Set in England, that is not really a surprise. To be sure this was actual facts, I did double-check and the events did occur as recorded. At the end of the book, the author does give details about her research and includes books for further reading. Also included are discussion questions which could be used in a book club or other group readings.

As a teacher, I am asked would I recommend this book? I would not have a problem recommending it as a personal choice for an older student as it is based on actual events and is correct with the time period. I do not think I would use it as a class book, but might use portions to explain specific events. There were times I found myself rereading portions. I am not sure if it was the way the author wrote the book that made me have to go back and check for sentence construction or if I was simply reading too fast.

I absolutely loved this book! The author grabs the attention of the reader right from the beginning and skillfully crafts an unforgettable story! I didn't know much about the Forgotten blitz bombing but now I'm eager to know more! I appreciate how much the author clearly researched to write this book!

The characters are wonderful! Each one touched my heart. I loved Amos from the very first sentences! He's loyal and a true friend. The land girls brought a smile to my face! Their unique personalities added a bit of excitement! Frank is a favorite, too! He's not what you would expect.

There are moments in the book that made me sigh in contentment, and others that caused my heart to stop. It's definitely a book that will make you think.

I was provided a copy of the book from Thomas Nelson via Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Wow! Kristy Cambron really penned a zinger of a story in The British Booksellers! This novel has the makings of a classic: unrequited love, mysteries flowing through every chapter, and enough suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I really didn’t want to put this one down, and I read the whole thing in a day. I simply couldn’t wait to find out what would happen to Amos and Charlie! They were characters you just have to love – though nobody in this story is quite whom they seem to be.

And that’s part of the fun of it. There isn’t just one big mystery – there’s that plus lots of little ones that Cambron trickles out as you read, just at the perfect pace to keep you longing for answers.

Cambron’s writing skills are masterful: lyrical and quotable and full of wisdom, I found myself highlighting much throughout the story – and I’m not typically one to mark up a book.

Give it a read, though, and I think you’ll see why. Whether it’s to answer the questions about what all is real – because The British Booksellers is based on real events – or because you need all the answers now, or merely because the writing is that beautiful, you won’t be able to put this book down, either.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

Coventry, England, 1914 & 1940

A tenant’s farmer's son has no business of daring to dream of a future that includes an earl’s daughter, but it doesn’t stop him from having a secret friendship with Charlotte Terrington.

The Coventry County Blitz serves as the background for The British Booksellers. This is a dual-time story and while I am not always a fan of them, having a dual time frame I felt really it served the plotline very well. I liked how the Great War and the experience that Amos and Will Holt went through prefaced the experience that is shown in WWll. There is usually a timeframe that I like better than the other, but as the layers are revealed, I couldn’t but want both to find out what would happen in 1914, so that I could understand what was happening between Amos and Charlotte in 1940. I usually connect more with the female protagonists, but I liked Amos more in the beginning.

The British Booksellers is filled with books, romance, mystery, and intrigue, and I was pulled back to read so that I could find out the secrets that spill onto the next war that devastated so many in Europe. The ending is so satisfying but I encourage you to read the beginning, and the middle too! Kristy Cambron has really outdone herself in The British Booksellers.

My gratitude to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson. All opinions expressed are mine and honest.

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres but during the pandemic, I read so many historical fiction books that I needed a break. And the historical fiction novels that I've read since haven't hit the mark. Until now.

The British Booksellers by Kristy Cambron renewed my love for the genre. Dual timelines, two love stories, broken hearts, historical references, a small town, and TWO bookstores! Be still my heart. I loved this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you, NetGalley and Thomas Nelson.

Five Stars. Oh my heart.
There needs to be some movie or show rights on this book stat! The story is so devastating, romantic, and hopeful. I loved that you got to see so much character growth in each of the main characters, especially with the use of dual timelines! The blitz didn’t just hit London, it also impacted several other parts of England, like Coventry. I am so thankful that Kristy Cambron writes beautiful stories that also educate and enlighten us. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a heartfelt historical romance that will make you laugh and cry! Thank you, NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for an ARC! I recieved a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I absolutely loved this story. Kristy Cambron has such an captivating way of expertly leading the reader along with new revelations in each timeline that one can simply not stop keep turning pages. She writes such beautiful and satisfying stories. I could not put The British Booksellers down!

1908, 1914, and 1940 Coventry England.

"How many times in life could a boy say he was risking his neck, doing the very last thing he'd expected....for a girl?" From the first line to the last, this sweeping saga begins the with a prologue in 1908, then the two time lines occur in 1914 with WWI, and 1940, with the backdrops of World War I in England and France, and The Coventry Blitz in Coventry England during World War II. The Christmas Truce in 1914 in WWI plays a small but pivotal role in this story.

Beautiful story of books, music, love, friendship, duty, sacrifice, heroism, forgiveness, and second chances abound. I love the fact that instead of one hero, there were several, including one that surprised and delighted me. I loved the stories in both timelines, the historical detail, and the way the author makes you feel like you're there.

I HIGHLY recommend this excellent historical fiction! Thank you to publisher Thomas Nelson and Net Galley for allowing me to read an early ecopy. All opinions are my own. I can't wait for my own preordered copy to arrive for my keeper shelf.

I absolutely loved this book. Kristy Cambron takes two world wars and manages to show both the horror and the beauty that can be found. The characters are flawed and perfect. Yes there is a love story intertwined, but it is so much more than that. You see the MCs, Charlotte & Amos grow and mature and with that their perspectives on life. During The Great War Amos sees the death and distruction of the front lines, while Charlotte deals with the pain and suffering on the home front. This book shows how war can change not only the landscape, but our hearts as well. It reminds us that even in times of deep sorrow there is always hope for something better. A must read.

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing me with a free complimentary copy. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own..

The British Booksellers by Kristy Cambron is her latest WWII novel and it is so good. I have been taking a break from WWII fiction, as it seems so heavy sometimes (as it should). But I’m so glad I read this one. Told in two timelines, both World War 1 & 2, it will remind you of the resiliency of the human spirit and the beauty in life, even in the midst of war. Five stars! #NetGalley

Amos and Charlotte were childhood friends who fell in love. The problem is that Amos is a tenant farmer and Charlotte's future has been arranged by her parents to marry the Earl of Harcourt, another childhood friend. When the Great War breaks out, all their plans suddenly change. Both Amos and the Earl head off to France and Charlotte finds herself married, pregnant, and trying to help out the war effort as best she can by opening a bookstore. Thirty years later, a new war has broken out and Coventry, an industrial center, has become a target for the Germans. Charlotte's daughter, Eden, and a mysterious American lawyer now are trying to keep both Eden's estate and Coventry safe. A wonderful historical fiction novel highlighting "The Forgotten Blitz."

The British Booksellers tells the story about love that spans two World Wars and brings together a couple of people from different social environments.
Although the events in this book also take place in different periods, there is less of a split time, split couples storyline than in many other books. This is because, apart from some flashbacks, there is more of a chronologically told story. Somehow this felt more natural than a lot of other similar books set in WWII.

The main story is set in London during the forgotten Blitz bombings, a period and setting I don't know much about, so this made the story extra interesting for me. I think that the historical background is really well researched and documented. What makes it extra interesting is that the story spans two world wars and even two continents.

I can highly recommend this book to everyone interested in historical fiction and I enjoyed every minute of reading this book.

I thank Netgalley and Thomas Nelson fiction for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange form my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

A truly amazing masterpiece! I was Swept Away in a world of different timelines, romance, and utter mystery! A perfect Christian book beyond measure! The characters truly enthralled me I always wondered what they were thinking or what they were going to do next. Would their past cross again? Will they ever find each other again? The power of books and love is the center of this beautiful tale!

A Christian centered romance it's just what the world needs today to send us back to warm values and strong hope. I truly love this story! Bravo!

Kristy Cambron is one of my very favorite authors. Her books never disappoint and The British Booksellers is definitely no exception! It is my favorite book so far this year. Both parts of this dual timeline story are achingly beautiful filled with harrowing and difficult details of wartime life, family loyalty, romance, mystery, intrigue, and of course books. The characters and the plot have lots of depth and the story is crafted around well researched events and beautifully described places. Both engaging and inspirational it is sure to be one of my most often recommended books.
Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for the opportunity to read for my honest review.

The British Booksellers was a beautifully written historical fiction by Kristy Cambron set in England during war times. The book was written in dual timelines. The characters especially Charlotte and Amos had so much depth that I felt very connected with them and the surroundings in which they lived. If one likes Downton Abbey, they will certainly love this one. I highly recommend it.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.