Fever: A Ballroom Romance

Book One

Pub Date 10 Jun 2015 | Archive Date 08 Dec 2015

Rory’s once promising ballet career was destroyed by family tragedy and illness. She turned her life around and became a lawyer. Now at the start of her legal career, she lacks passion in her work and self-confidence in her abilities. But when she meets gorgeous, mysterious Russian ballroom dancer, Sasha, at a firm holiday party, her passions for life and dance are immediately re-kindled. Since being torn from his Siberian family as a child, Sasha’s life ambition has been to be world ballroom champion, a path he was destined for until his former partner pulled the plug on their partnership. She went on to win the world title, leaving him, without a partner equal in ability, forever in second place. The instant he lays eyes on Rory, he recognizes the depth of her passion and talent, and falls hard for her in more ways than one. But she also reminds him of great pain from his past. He must not only overcome his own demons but convince her to leave her demanding law career, and all that she has worked for in her adult life, to train with him full-time in order for their partnership – both on and off the dance floor – to work. This is part one in a continuing three-book series.

A Note From the Publisher

Fever: A Ballroom Romance is a three-book, continuing series. Books one and two end with a cliffhanger. The series will also be released as a box set. The Fever series is part of a larger series of romances, Infectious Rhythm, set in a Hollywood dance studio. Tonya Plank is the award-winning author of Swallow, a work of women's fiction. Fever is her first romance. A former ballroom dancer, she wrote a dance blog, Swan Lake Samba Girl, which was lauded by James Wolcott in his Vanity Fair blog, and Terry Teachout of the Wall Street Journal.

Advance Praise

"Passions flare in this riveting behind-the-scenes look at competitive dance. From barre to ballroom, studio to bedroom, jealousy, sabotage, and romance, set the pages on fire." - Robena Grant, author of Corsica Gate and Ring Me Later

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781942289067

With the popularity of Dancing with the stars, etc. this is a perfect read for that audience. Only difficulty is the slow build to the actual love match and the main characters insecurity.

Wow!!! I'm in love. I forgot how sexy dancing can be. If you like movies like Save the Last Dance, you will probably really enjoy this. I'm sad that the 2nd book isn't available yet!!! (Just a few more days, just a few more days, just a few more days) Rory dreamed of being a ballet dancer ever since she was a child, but she didn't get support from her family and friends. So... she put her dreams on hold and became a lawyer like her successful sister. Doesn't it suck to be responsible sometimes? Working at a small firm as a lawyer, she felt like something was missing. Her spark in life came back when she saw Sasha dancing passionately at an event. She then signs up for dance classes at Sasha's studio and learns different styles of dancing. She is addicted to catching up on the things she missed. But with 14 years of ballet experience, Rory has to break her old dancing habits. Out with the old, in with the new! She and Sasha have a secret attraction. You know they want each other! You can feel their desire between the lines. Even though they don't make out yet, their dancing is HOT. I'm suspecting the next books will be much juicier. The anticipation is killing me. This should be a movie!!!!

Absolutely loved this book! "I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review"

Really enjoyed the story, it was easygoing, but full of small details and sexy dancing. A can’t wait to read the second book. I think I fell in love. I never actually read any book with this topic. Great work!

Fever was a great book and very sexy. I loved the development of the relationship between the characters, and each one of them brought a great flavour to the story - I would definitely recommend it!

As someone who loves dance, I was interested in this novel despite it seeming a little dramatic for my tastes. I was blown away by how passionate the novel was without going over the top. It accurately portrays the fervor that goes into one’s craft, not to mention how the fiery personalities of the artists themselves. I loved the characters and the development of their stories. The author does a great job at creating sexual tension without being ridiculous. While I enjoyed the novel, however, I feel that I can patiently wait to read the next in the series.

I loved this book. This is the first time I have read a book by this author. the story was good but I honestly hated the main character's. Rory for one was killing me with the always comparing herself to the other women. the whole body issues thing got on my nerves. I felt that Rory just needed to grow up and admit that what she is doing to her body is wrong and love herself and also she needs to eat way more then what she was eating. Sasha was just plain rude towards his dance partners. Luna and Cheryl I just couldn't stand period I thought they weren't worth being written in the book with how they acted and were towards Rory. The book would of been great if I could of felt the chemistry between Rory and Sasha instead of it just being one sided. I also would of enjoyed it better if it was written from Sasha's sided to know what he was thinking instead of just from Rory's side. I will read the next two books in the series just because I am curious to see what happens and to see if things start to heat up.

I'd like to thank NetGalley and Dark Swan Press for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. This was a nice read, but there were one thing that bothered me. This is a long book (over 400 pages), which means a lot of pages to build up a relationship and tension. But here, nothing happened in the romantic sense. There were hints and clues of a plot, but I'm not entirely sure there was a plot. This was much more about character development than an actual story being told. On the other hand, the dance descriptions were fantastic, and I was really able to imagine the steps and all that. It did get tiring, at points, reading about rumba, and then about this and that. The ending was really frustrating. It wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, but it did leave me frustrated. I'll read the next book, that's for sure.

Rory is an attorney and Sasha is her love interest. I'm not really a ballroom dance person but I enjoyed this story. It was easy on my mind's eye, seeing the very sensual and sexy dancing. Ms. Plank's details were spot on. I got to see Rory mate, into the woman's she'd always wanted to be, as she left the safety net of her life and danced into her dreams of a lifetime. It's a fun read, full of colorful characters that left me wanting to move on to book two.

This book has two of my favorite things. Romance and dancing. Great novel definitely go check it out if you love those things too.

Sasha Sasha sasha. Geesh louise. I have no words for this book ! First ballroom story I've read and i loved this book. There is so much tension and I just love it. I will definitely be getting book 2 and 3!

Rory had given up ballet and decided to pursue a career in law. Only, she is unhappy and unable to find confidence in her own abilities. After seeing a ballroom dance performance, Rory decides the perfect outlet for her is to again try her hand at dance. Further, she forms a fascination with professional ballroom dancer Sasha who just so happens to be the man she saw at the performance. He recognizes in her the same passion for dance he has in him. Together they might just form the perfect couple both on and off the dance floor. Verdict: Bleh. I didn’t finish this read. I liked the story line, and the writing itself was ok. But overall, I don’t like the feel the book gave at the apparent acceptance of cheating. Almost every major character in the book was in some sort of longstanding relationship, and then managed to find someone else who they thought was a better fit for their needs. Additionally some of the many nitpicks I have - at the beginning of the story it seemed that the author spent a little too much time emphasizing how much Rory focused on how the dancer’s (Sasha’s in particular) hips and feet moved instead of describing how the dancers looked. I understand that it was meant to represent Rory’s re-introduction to the passion of dance, but it just felt off to me. Also, I didn’t enjoy how Rory decided to join the dance studio where Sasha danced and then proceeded to just about stalk his every movement there until he noticed her. I just didn’t find this to be my cup of tea.

Can't wait to read more

This book was an amazing book. It is one of my top favorites that I've read so far. It was a fast paced book that kept me wondering. I can't wait to get a hold of the second book in this series.

Complex characters and a fresh voice. Good read!

I liked this book a lot, actually. The writing was smooth and invisible, and the characters - at least the main characters - were whole and real. The main character was very realistic. Having lived with a former ballerina, I thought her neurosis were well incorporated. She didn't think about them a lot, but the reader was definitely aware that something wasn't 100% with her. The reader is left with this feeling of ambivalence towards the main character's choice to take up dancing again. On the one had you can see that she loves it, on the other, you can see the potential for a lot of unhealthy behaviors - eating disorders, spending a lot of money on something you can't really afford, etc. A couple of points of contention - the 'bad guys' were very one dimensional. They were all bitches and bad at dancing and everyone hated them. The end. I would like more complexity in the future. Also, the whole plot was really slow in coming. Though I enjoyed living the main characters life, and seeing how she dealt with her issues and took control of her life, there was no closure in the end. The book ended on a cliffhanger, and the whole plot of book one was basically: girl remembers she likes to dance and stalks a hot dancer guy for a while. This book was too long to be a serial, and not enough plot to be a full book. Despite that, I did like it. If the topic interests you, or if you have ever taken dance lessons, I suggest you read.

This is a book for you, if you’re in the mood for some sexy Latin dancing in the ballroom. It has steaminess and some very sexy character that you will like. You definitely like Roxy, despite everything she’s been through and the Latin dancer that gets in her way isn’t half bad either. The characters were thoroughly enjoyable and you definitely want to see how the story ends. It flowed quite nicely and had a few intriguing moments, so if you’re in the mood pick up a copy and enjoy. Even though the action takes place in the ballroom it definitely keeps your attention and turning the page till the end.

Rory was an attorney who felt that most attorneys were boring. Her boyfriend is James, whose also a lawyer in LA. She had studied ballet for 14 years. At a party, she saw a dance being done and longed to dance again. This was a little slow-moving, but I did finish it. I didn't like where it left off. I didn't realize it was part of a serial when I got it. Maybe if I get a chance to get the other two books, I will feel better about the whole story.

I loved this book, and coming from a dance background made it that much more enjoyable!