Quanta

Pub Date 13 Oct 2015 | Archive Date 14 Oct 2016

"THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!" -- No Escape Like A Book

Just because Quanta can see the future doesn’t mean she can change it. She’s spent most of her life imprisoned, feeding her captors information to keep herself alive, but she’s finally reached the endgame and her death creeps closer by the moment.

The son of two senators, Altair Orpheus leads a life of privilege that provides the perfect cover for his side job: working with the rebel Shadow Ravens to undermine the ruling Seligo government. Everything is running like clockwork until he crosses paths with Quanta. As he watches her deftly maneuver through life in a perverse prison, his plastic heart melts. A jailbreak would be suicide, but Tair is willing to sacrifice everything to give her a chance at happiness.

Now Quanta senses a terrifying new future brewing. She and Tair are bound together, but every image of them kissing, snuggling, and acting knee-weakeningly happy is balanced by a much darker possibility. They’ll be picture perfect together, but only until time rips them apart. How can she follow her heart when she’s seen how their love plays out?

The Shadow Ravens Series:

“Quanta is one of the best heroines I have ever read. " --Lunaland books
"THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!" -- No Escape Like A Book

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I LOVED this book and fully expect to see it in film one day! Much like the Hunger Games, it opens with a palpable tension that never lets up and keeps you on edge until the very end. I just couldn't put this book down. Reminiscent of the movie Edge of Tomorrow (which was originally the Japanese military sci/fi novel All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka,) it amps up the time travel genre and keeps the reader gasping "No Way!" The love story meshes perfectly with the action. Lola Dodge knows how to marry romance and action so seamlessly that the reader can't isn't jarred between the two, but keeps turning pages to see how the two characters (Quanta and Altair) can possibly survive long enough to begin their love story--the love story that we've been watching through Quanta's time visions from the moment we (she) sees Altair for the first time.
Overall, exciting read and well written. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

I kindly received this ARC from INscribe Digital via NG in return for an honest review.

"I'd been born a Red Helix, but I'd chosen to be a Shadow Raven. A rebel, fighting against Doctor Nagi, his immortal Seligo, and everything they stood for. Usually."

Rating: 3.5 stars.

Confession time! I actually didn't realize that this was book 2 of the shadow ravens series. Book #1 is Cipher (The Shadow Ravens #1) However, jumping straight into book 2 didn't ruin anything for me, the author made it really easy to follow. I would even say this could be read as a standalone but trust me when you finish it, you'll totally backtrack to book #1- I certainly will!

I really liked this book, it was very enjoyable, the world- building is awesome too!

Let's jump straight into the plot.

"If pacing were a sport, I'd definitely be the world champion now. Too bad the whole being prisoner thing knocked me out of running for medals."

Quanta has been imprisoned for as long as she's known.
She is one of the most powerful, but also unstable Red Helixs- She's a seer, able to see the timeghosts of the past and the present.
She's been used and abused by scientists and nothing, not one thing can surprise her.
Until Altair Orpheus.
The green Helix- son of a politician and rebel by night.
she didn't see him coming but when he does,
everything changes.
Hope is a fickle thing,
especially when your life is on the line at every moment of everyday.

This book was so well written and engaging! I loved it.

Quanta is an immensely likable character with gumption and strength on the side.
This story is so complex and I can't even begin to start thinking about what it would feel like to live with her gift, i think I'd hate it.
But she does not conform, not matter how much pain comes about she fights to protect the cause she so believes.

She's also hilarious, so many intense scenes and then she'd say something that would make me burst out laughing.

Altair is such a cool character too, he's not dark and brooding, he's had a lot of loss and pain in his life but he doesn't let it define him. He's prepared to give up anything to stop injustice and once he meets Quanta, nothing will be able to stop him.

But seriously, I hated Altair's parents soo much , they're awful!! my goodness!

I do love his sister though, Cass is amazing, I hope we see much more of her in the next book.

This book is just so darned complex! The subservience, the slavery and the near royalties- The seligo. Its crazy!

And *shudders* Darren...if ever there was a way to describe it, Quanta nailed it, he's most definitely a "Son of a seabiscuit" . What. A. Creep. yuck, yuck, yuck!

So yes, I can't wait for the next book!

I really liked this book, I read the first book around a year ago and was really drawn into the world, along with everything else. When I found out the second book was going to have not only different main characters, but a different author I was pretty nervous. I wasn't sure how much I'd like the rest of the series. But I liked this book just as much and I was really pleased to see the other characters make an appearance.

Quanta was a really interesting character and had very strong resolve given all that she had been through. There were times though when I wasn't sure if she ever thought about her having any other kind of life, or if she had already completely resigned herself to where she was, even after meeting Altair.

Altair was a little harder to pin down. His motives weren't all that clear for a while. Until we saw what changed his mind about where he wanted to take his life.

The only thing that I kind of am on the fence about is the romance between Q and Tair. At times it seemed a little forced. In the first book the romantic implication between Cipher and Hunter seemed to steam more from them knowing each other in the past and then their continued online relationship, even if they didn't know at the time who exactly it was they were talking to. This time it seemed like it had more to do with the genetic match, and that came off as slightly forced. They never did declair love for each other but had it not been for the matching, I wonder if they would've developed anything past having a common goal.

That small thing that is hardly a big deal aside, I really did love this book and I am really looking forward to continuing the series. It's a very unique and exciting world.

RATING 4.5 STARS

Quanta is book two in the Shadow Ravens series by Lola Dodge and Aileen Erin. This book was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by NetGalley, Inscribe Digital and by the authors.

This book was one crazy ride. Altair Orpheus is the son of a prominent Senator who has high aspirations for his son. At a young age, though, Altair, or Tair, became disillusioned with his life. He lives in a society that your status is determined by the tattoo you wear. There is a secret rebel society of Shadow Ravens, only obvious to fellow Shadow Ravens by the raven tattoo on their wrist. Tair has been leading a double life, secretly a member of the Shadow Ravens but leading the life of a privileged Senator’s son in order to get and pass along important information.

Quanta wears a Red Helix tattoo. All ‘Reds’ are considered dangerous, they have special powers difficult to control. They are usually just murdered. Quanta’s gift, though, is that she is a seer. She can either look back or to the future. She has been held for ten long years in the labs under the Senate building, studied, experimented on, and used for her sight. Most on the outside believed that she was dead. I want to take a moment here to pause and say how awesome and strong Quanta is. I believe she is about twenty by now. Did she ever break or give in to what she was subjected to? No! She remained strong and manipulated things to the best of her ability to keep those on the outside safe. This young woman amazed me to no end with her strength and resilience.

“The Seligo had tried to strip her bare, but at her core, Quanta was still Quanta, and she hadn’t been broken by her past.”

When Tair is asked by the head scientist, Dr. Nagi, to assist him with a top secret experiment, he thinks this is the perfect opportunity to finally get into the inner workings to get more information for the Ravens. But he had no idea that his life was about to change forever. As soon as he laid eyes on Quanta, he knew his life was no longer his own.

Tair knew he had to try to get Quanta out, but with layers upon layers of security, and Quanta was observed every minute of every day through cameras and two way mirrors. How could they ever escape?

As Tair and Quanta spend time together, they realize their bond is not a normal one. All Quanta has to do is touch Tair and she feels calmer. The images constantly playing through her head quiet. Along with this bond come abilities Quanta didn’t realize she possessed. Abilities that might be helpful in their escape.

This book was a crazy ride and kept me on edge right up to the very end. There isn’t really a cliff hanger but there is still much to be resolved. We also get to know Tair’s sister, Cassie, and I loved her. I’m hoping in the next book we get to find out more about her. There is quite a wait for the next book in this series, Quanta Reset, which will be a continuation of Tair and Quanta’s story. I think you could enjoy this book even if you haven’t read the first one, but the characters of the first book do re-appear in this one. The first book in the series, though, Cipher, is also amazing so you really don’t want to miss it. So start at the beginning, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Okay so you may have noticed how excited I've been for this book for a multitude of reasons if you've been following my blog long. I was beyond excited to receive and ARC for review, already had it pre-ordered but getting it early just means I can enjoy it that much sooner. And enjoy it I did.

Rating: 5 Cupcakes

Quanta is the second book in The Shadow Ravens series, this book is written by Lola Dodge. Now you can read it alone, the story holds it's own but it will have some spoilers of things mentioned that happened in book one, Cipher. So be warned there. That's it. Same world but this time we follow the path of another red, Quanta. She is a captive. She has a very rare and unique red power, the power to see into the past and different possible futures. It's dual prospective, so we also see things from Altair, a Shadow Raven himself but one that is on the fast track to becoming Seligo, the immortal elite, born to be perfect but a prisoner in his own life as well. When they meet it hits the fan and things start moving.

There isn't a dull moment in this book. I couldn’t put it down. I got so mad when people interrupted me from reading, having to remind myself I was at work so I couldn’t ignore them or yell at them, but still. It was amazing. I loved Quanta from the first moment. What she is living with, a test subject trying to use her gift to protect those she can while also trying to protect herself from losing what little control she has of her life. She is a lab rat and never seeing a positive future for yourself only ones with less pain would drive anyone insane. And Altair, he is somewhat of a know it all, but one you like. He kind of reminded me of Sherlock and House in a way, knowing everyone is out for something and noticing things others wouldn’t catch to use to his advantage. He is also completely focused on is work. He doesn't like the way things are and only plays along to keep up appearances for a bigger purpose. Constantly being watched and told how to behave to advance while others plan out your life, he has only slightly more control over his life than Quanta.

These two meeting was priceless. Her visions of him, of them, would distract the most strong willed person. Quanta has some hilarious lines that made me snort while reading. Priceless. I was stuck between understanding her reasons and wanting to strangle her when she made some decisions, as is par for most books. Images of them happy and in love kissing and snuggling, hopeful followed up by images of pain and loss and death are hard to sort. The happiness is so easy to want given her life but when the happiness seems tainted with blood, pain, and heartache is it worth it? Altair knows they are bound and he has to free her, not just because he feels it is right but somehow they have found a way to use her skills to hurt the shadow ravens. Neither of them will stand for that.

Quanta is also full of action. You have corporate espionage type thing going on, all 007 like working for shadow ravens and gun fights, chases, and more. There was always something happening be it action or with the characters that you wanted to keep going. Also it's hard to have covert conversations when your every move is monitored. I highly recommend this book! If that wasn't clear enough already. Quanta is out on the 13th so pick up your own copy and give it a go. Share any thoughts and questions down below in the comments as usual!

I don't read too many books where a character, be it main or side, can see into the future. It's a fine line to tread and most either make it so visions aren't clear, saving crucial plot twists from being revealed, or make the character and their visions so cryptic no one can understand them until after the event they were foretelling has already passed. However Lola Dodge has managed to create a character who not only sees into the future but can see every possible path a person can take. Quanta is not about the visions so much as it is about the paths Quanta and Tair take that lead to the outcome she's foreseen.

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you haven’t read the first book you’ll want to skip this review until you have because it may contain some spoilers for Cipher.

The son of two senators, Altair Orpheus leads a life of privilege that provides the perfect cover for his side job: working with the rebel Shadow Ravens to undermine the ruling Seligo government. Everything is running like clockwork until he crosses paths with Quanta. As he watches her deftly manoeuvre through life in a perverse prison, his plastic heart melts. A jailbreak would be suicide, but Tair is willing to sacrifice everything to give her a chance at happiness.

– Blurb courtesy of goodreads.com

What's coming next?

A few half-hearted images flipped past: I cross the living room, heading towards the holographic window of faux skyscrapers; the cleaning bot sucks crumbs from the white carpet. When those fluttered away, nothing.

Like nothing, nothing.

The silence rang in my ears and I blinked fast, trying to make sense of the weird stillness, but the emptiness stayed empty. The hairs on my arms lifted in alarm.

There couldn't be nothing in my future...

Right?

Quanta is a rarity, not only is she a red helix but she is the only one who can see into the future. It makes her highly valued and highly useful to the Seligo and Dr Nagi but she walks a fine line between giving them enough information to keep her alive, but not enough to put other red helixes and the Shadow Ravens in any real danger. She knows as soon as her ability becomes something they can replicate she is going to die and so she uses her gift to stay one step ahead of everyone else, looking into the future at what will happen and using that knowledge to her advantage. Quanta has had a hard life. She doesn't remember much of her past before she was brought to the facility and the tests started but since then every day has been a delicate balancing act. Despite this however, she isn't bitter and she hasn't given up. She is determined to do whatever she can to cling to the life she has and to help the Shadow Ravens from afar. She has a quick wit and is incredibly clever, she hasn't let the Seligo beat her down and she still remains somewhat hopeful.

Her ability to see the future is valued because it doesn't only show her one outcome, she can see them all, faint impressions of paths that will likely never be taken and more solid ones. The closer a vision is to actually occurring the clearer it becomes. However when Tair walks into her life her visions, her security net, fail; he is the only one she has trouble reading. She can't see him clearly; instead of defining images that shaped his past she sees inconsequential moments, nothing that tells her why he is here and what he wants. When she manages to catch glimpses of his future she sees images of her and Tair together; kissing, happy with one another, until she sees the visions of the two of them dying together.

I hadn't met anyone new in a while, but when I did, I always got blasted with the highlight reel of their past. First kisses. Tragic deaths in the family. All the high notes.

But this guy...

Blank. Blank. Blank.

Even with him standing straight in front of me, I couldn't get into his pages of the universe. I flexed my mental muscles until my temples throbbed, but nothing.

Just because her visions tell her she is going to feel something for Tair doesn't mean Quanta is going to blindly follow that path. She doesn't trust him, despite the fact they both have the Shadow Raven symbol tattooed on their hand. For all she knows he's a spy for the Seligo, and if he isn't then walking into Dr Nagi's facility makes him, in her mind, an idiot with a death wish.

Tair is the opposite of Quanta, the son of a senator he had every advantage growing up but one of his defining moments led him to Lady Eva and the Shadow Ravens. When Tair finally gets invited to work in Dr Nagi's lab with Quanta and reveals to Lady Eva that Quanta is alive he is told to rescue her if he can and if he can't, to kill her. The Shadow Ravens know that Quanta's power is too dangerous in the wrong hands. But after Tair's met her, face to face, he cannot kill her. The two have an instant attraction to one another but they can't act on it, not when their every move is being watched.

It takes a while for Quanta to come around to Tair, even when the two manage to find a space where they can talk unwatched she doesn't fully trust him. However they both need the other's help to get out of the facility alive; and when Quanta makes a new discovery about what she can do with her abilities it proves very useful when they finally make their escape.

Future after future after future ended in red haze until I could taste the potential blood at the back of my throat. I ground my hands into my temples so hard that stars burst behind my eyes. Why? Why would I start a romance with this guy knowing it ended with us shot? Tortured. Gassed. Electrocuted.

There was even a hazy one where we fell into a pool of acid together. Thank God that one was too unlikely to smell. I was not sizzling to death for this guy.

I found the romance between Quanta and Tair better developed than that between Cipher and Knight in the first book. It took a while for Quanta to open up to him, she'd been burned before in the past, but even once she started to trust Tair she still didn't fall for him straight away.

I felt Quanta took the series down a darker path than Cipher did, which could be because it was written by a different author, but it was more likely the story itself. Unlike Cipher Quanta has been stuck in a laboratory, tested and hurt, since she was a child. She is surrounded by enemies and lives each day wondering if it will be her last. Not to say that Cipher had an easy life but despite constantly looking over her shoulder and running from the Seligo she was free, Quanta however walks a fine line between being useful enough to survive yet vague enough to keep the Shadow Ravens safe.

Maybe it's because I read Quanta before Cipher but I preferred Quanta and Tair's characters and their story. I'm interested to see where the next book follows on from Quanta, though I have a while to wait before it's released.

All quotes have been taken from an ARC and may differ from the final publication.

Not set

I received this Quanta by Lola Dodge in exchange for an Honest review.

This best way i can describe this book is 100% original. Dodge has created this stunning world that completely encompasses you and keeps you firmly engrossed within the pages of her universe. Quanta is one of the best heroines i have ever read. She has such a strong personality and yet she's relatable in a way that makes her seem real to the point you can almost feel her emotions.

Dodge's writing is absolutely spectacular in this book as Quanta's journey continues and she faces new challenges in her life. We also get to see her bond with Tair and what possible obstacles they will have to face in the future. I loved Tair and Quanta together and her predictions of the two of them in awkward situations had me laughing and enthralled in their story.

Everything about this book had me on the edge of my seat and this is possibly now my favourite YA book of the year and definitely my favourite book sequel as it is possibly even better than the first.

I just can't recommend this book enough. Its such a beautiful world and one you don't want to miss.

Not set

The second novel in The Shadow Ravens series, Quanta introduces readers to a future seeing red helix named Quanta. Kept in a laboratory for years on end, Quanta is forced to read the future to for her enemies and torturers. Through this she has survived, and it looks like help is finally on it's way, in the form of a handsome Shadow Raven undercover.
I loved this novel. I thought it was riveting, intense and romantic. I was captivated by the narration and the internal dialogue of the main characters, Quanta and Altair Orpheus. Both characters are diverse and lovable. The plot itself is captivating and very well developed. I found that the characters were also awesomely developed. By the end of the story, I felt that the characters were so rounded and solid I could talk about them as if I knew them in real life. This is the second novel in the series, after Cipher, and holds up the high standards Cipher had put down. Both novels are intense, action packed and ultimately adorably romantic. The romantic tension between Quanta and Altair was thick and tangible. I totally recommend Quanta, especially to romance lovers, and give Quanta the star rating of FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS!

I received this ebook from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I was crazy in love with the first book of the Shadow Ravens' series and this one is no exception!
I really liked Quanta, a red elix who can see every possible future, and Altair, who is her genetic match.
Altair was born to two Seligo parents, but decided not to follow their path. He's a cute nerd but know how to fight. I'm in love with him!
I can't wait to know what happens next!
My vote: 4.5 stars

Good book. Love the idea and of course, the cover. *Will post a review on Goodreads, Amazon and on my blog SOON*

Which pleasure to get back to the universe of the Seligos and Red Helix. I had really liked Cipher, there I completely melted for Quanta which I devoured. This book really have something more which filled my year of waiting. It's more intense, more poignant, more futuristic and who would not melt for Quanta and Tair? This couple is quite simply adorable, I appreciated to follow the evolution of their romance, the obstacles that they must surmount and especially that everything is not very beautiful and pink.

Quanta is a special Red Helix. She was created by Doctor Nagi himself before Eva saved and raised her like her daughter. But lack of chance for her, the Seligo's chief has succeeds in getting her back and has held her captive in a laboratory for 10 years. All of this because of her gift. Quanta is the only clairevoyante, and she can moreover travel in time for some limiting. Her capacity, that is out of commun, forced her to grow too quickly, to learn how to be wary of everyone and make her live many horrible things. She is a character attaching and concerning, a true warrior who will see her world change thanks to Altair.

Altair, or Tair for his closest friends, is a little genius born with a silver spoon in the mouth and he's an incredible scientist. But behind his appearance of the perfect green Helix, son of Senators, he's a rebel of the Shadow Ravens who saw too many things without being able to react and who wants to change the things. Just like Quanta, he overcame certain difficulties in the past which continue to haunt him. And the least which we can say, even if his meeting with the beautiful captive is a blessing for him on the level of the feelings, he'll suffer because of it.

Because yes, the characters suffer, certain scenes can be horrible with a large unhealthy potential. The various characters are dark, not only the main couple, but also the secondaries characters such as Darren who is a true psychopath, or Eva who see her image of hero being tarnished. But, I found that the character of Cass, Tair's sister, is a true sunbeam full with humour. And especially, the relation between Quanta and Altair is not only tainted by pain and despair, there are beautiful moments of tenderness and joy.

The intrigue always turns between the escape and the rescue of the Red Helix and the link which exists between these incredible young women and a person who is used by them as a parapet (a gorgeous in both cases, why not enjoy it that way?). However, the fact of having access to the universe of the immortal Selligos, of seeing the back of the decorations, and how the things go for the Helix, it really was appreciable. Moreover there was a lot of action, especially thanks to Quanta's power. I was fascinated by this story of perspicacity and return in the past, the multitude of choices and distinct futures.

The world depicts by Lola Dodge is even more complex and dark that what had been introduced by Aileen Erin. We feel the touch of the author, her own style, which gives another dimension to the characters. The concept to write with several persons is well employed and we enjoy the story which is offered to us. However, I have a preference for Quanta with respect to Cipher, Altair is not for nothing in this choice, even if Knight… er, between the dark warrior and the intellectual nerd, my heart balances… I really had a favorite for this continuation (of which I have a doubt the YA description, I have an NA feeling about it) which is only an opening for what will come!

This is the second book in a series, but can be read as a stand alone.

The story is just so wild and crazy, completely unpredictable, completely spellbinding. I was trying to keep up to the action, while at the same time trying to read faster and find out what happens next.

Totally unique story and characters, unlike anything I've ever read. And I can't describe it in any other way than spellbinding. amazing!

I loved Quanta. So. Much. I literally couldn't put it down until I finished it. As others have said, it does work as a standalone, but you'll have a better understanding of Quanta and Altair's world if you read Cipher first. Not a necessity, but Cipher explains how Hunter and Cipher got together, gives a more complete explanation of the world outside the lab (since most of Quanta takes place INSIDE the lab) including the helix system, and tells more about Eva.

This book was dark and sad in some ways, but ultimately I thought it really made us push for Quanta and Altair to prevail against tremendous odds. I can't say much more than that without giving away plot.

5 stars. Can't wait for the next book!

*ARC via netgalley in exchange for agreement to review*

This second installment of the Shadow Ravens series was a wonderful and enrapturing story of a girl trying to find her place in a world that rejects who she is. Quanta is the epitome of what you would imagine as a seer. I couldn’t help but empathize with her not long after she was introduced simply because she was so guarded and such a believable character in the world the author created. When we met Tair, I couldn’t decide what I thought of the surgery enhanced scientist. He grew on me as time passed and his concern for Quanta increased and proved to be more than just scientifically based. I hated Darren from the moment we met him and guessed long before Tair what he had been doing to Quanta. It was nearly impossible to not get attached to these characters as they discovered more and more about themselves and their purpose.

I found that because this part was written by a different author, it had a different sort of voice than that of Cipher, which was also one of my top books from almost exactly a year ago today. I can’t wait to see what the third book brings and if there will be chapters told from all four points of view or what. It would for sure make the read unique since each author puts her own spin on what they are thinking.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review, thank you to NetGalley and InkMonster for the advanced copy! I give this book five out of five beans because it truly kept me up into the wee hours of the morning because I couldn’t bear to put it down and not know what happened to the characters. I highly recommend this to anyone who: 1. has read Cipher and enjoyed it, 2. loves a good adventure with some true romance, and/or 3. has a taste for dystopian societies.

Oh God. The Shadow Ravens series is slowly seeping inside my top favourite list now I swear. After the first book Chiper came out, I was definitely psyched for Quanta. And it is worth it.

The whole set for The Shadow Ravens series had intrigued me even from the start. In this futuristic universe, humanity had been through a DNA modification, and the colour of your Helix tattoo is going to determine how your DNA was modified.

Our main protagonists live in a totally different world. Quanta is considered dangerous for her special abilities, thus she was marked with a red helix, like the others who bear special powers. and Altair is a scientist, the son of the senator, and secretly, a part of the secret rebel society, Shadow Ravens. Quanta had been imprisoned for quite awhile now since unfortunately her gift for looking into the future is useful to find the other reds. When they both got thrown together in one space, you know things are going to change ;)

How I feel about this book? well, I kinda really really love it! Quanta is fierce I tell you. Even with everything that is thrown in her life (try being able to see the future and getting imprisoned and experimented for it) she is still standing. Seriously, how. She's definitely one of my favourite characters right now. And Tair, sigh. Altair is amazing. He is not our typical broodingly dark and sexy, don't get me wrong. Altair is sexy thats for sure, and he's also smart, and cool and everything else. I might be in love.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel! Like I thought I would. The writing style is just perfect for me, fast paced and a total page turner. Recommended!

I really enjoyed this book despite not having read the prequel. The book is well written with a storyline that unfolds at a good pace. Quanta is an interesting character and I'd like to know more about her lost years and how she developed into who she is having been kidnapped at 10. Will definitely be looking for the prequel. And the sequel. I'm hoping there's a happy ending!