Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too!

A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes

Pub Date 15 Nov 2016 | Archive Date 01 Nov 2016

Share the obsession!

Inspired by a diversity of cuisines, James Beard Award-winner Raghavan Iyer’s passion for potatoes shines through in his continent-by-continent celebration of the amazing potato and the tastiest ways you can cook it—including soups, salads, gratins, tarts, and the Ultimate French Fries.

Features recipes for:Potatoes to start—from Cheesy Tarragon Tots to Steamed Potato-Chive BunsPotatoes for dinner—from Creamy Massaman Curry to Chorizo-Stuffed HashPotatoes on the side—from Kung Pao Potatoes to Hasselback Potatoes with Cardamom ButterAnd potatoes for dessert—from Thick-Cut Potato Crisps with Dark Chocolate to Sweet Potato Rolls with a Creamy Cointreau Glaze
Share the obsession!

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too! is a cookbook dedicated to the potato. I was impressed with how many recipes were included in this book, including multiple dessert recipes using the potato as the main ingredient. Nice layout to the book, nice font, beautiful photos. This would make a nice addition to the home cookbook library for potato enthusiasts!

I was interested in this book for the simple reason that I was so lacking in interest in potatoes. I'm pretty much just a mashed potatoes gal if it comes to eating potatoes, but this book changed me point of view and I'm excited to try some recipes (and new kinds of potatoes!). The books is awesomely designed, has great photos, and the recipes are mouth-watering (even for a non-potato lover like myself).

Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes! I'm Irish, so potatoes hold a revered place in my menu prepping. This cookbook embraced all things potatoes, as well as all types of potatoes, to bring a well rounded buffet of flavor profiles out of my favorite tubers. I was especially excited to try the Harissa Potato Salad, a take on a staple condiment of Morocco; the Mojito Potato-Pomegranate Salad, a perfectly seasonally appropriate alternative to your standard picnic fare; Sweet Potatoes with Chicken & Lemongrass, a refreshing take on Asian cuisine with the addition of potatoes; and the Sweet Potato Rolls with a creamy cointreau glaze, a perfect alternative for humdrum cinnamon rolls. 100% want to try every recipe in the book. All of the instructions are clear that even the most inept cook could make these hearty meals and side dishes. 5 stars!

I love potatoes! So when I saw this book I couldn't wait to read it. The author does an excellent job presenting recipes from all over the world using potatoes. I can't wait to try several of them. I am on a special diet & really liked the section at the end the book that addressed this. Just note some of the potatoes used maybe harder to find in certain areas, but I'm sure you could substitute for what you could find. They also did an excellent job with the pictures in the book. I just wish they had pictures for every recipe!

Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too!: A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes book by Raghavan Iyer contains just about everything you need to know about the humble tuber called a potato. The author starts out his book telling about the different varieties of potatoes available for eating, how select potatoes and how to store them. Later in the book you'll find an expansive selection of potato recipes. Some of the recipes include: Cheesy, Tarragon Tots; Mozzarella Potato Stacks; Creamy Bowtie Pasta with Potatoes and Basil; Burning Love; Ultimate French Fries. I loved the color photos and tips sprinkled throughout his cookbook. Recommend. Review written after downloading a galley from NetGalley.

I love potatoes! Who does not love potatoes? I especially love cold potato salad in overwhelming summer heat, as one of the few filling-but-cold dishes I'm good at – which may surprise anyone who knows my food habits and how much I hate mayonnaise. But there's so many excellent variations on potato salad that are not just chunks of potato drenched in mayo! This is the main reason I checked out this cookbook, and I was rewarded; Iyer has eight different recipes. I've made the "Harissa Potato Salad" and "Grandmother Ida's Russian Potato Salad", and they were both delicious. The "Mojito Potato-Pomegranate Salad" and "Roasted Potato Salad with Basil" also look great. There's lots of non-salad recipes here too: "Potato Soto Ayam" (a pho-like noodle and chicken soup), Persian Style Potatoes and Eggs (sort like hash browns topped with baked eggs), Massaman Curry, Potato-Stuffed Chili Rellenos. Plus Iyer's own versions on many well-known ways of eating potatoes are included: baked, mashed, french fries, tater tots, latkes, perogies, patatas bravas, potatoes gratin, gnocchi. There's even a chapter of desserts, and though I am not entirely convinced of the appeal of "Chocolate Sweet Potato Pound Cake" or "Thick-Cut Potato Crisps with Dark Chocolate", they don't sound half-bad. Anyway, potatoes! They're my favorite. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1740081768

A delicious addition to a cookbook collection! Starts with strong information about potato varieties, then dives into well-written recipes from appetizers and soups to entrees and yes, event potato desserts. Tips are sprinkled throughout. Layout is clean, with bright colors and mouth-watering photos of recipes. Recommended!

Not set

The potato is a versatile vegetable and this cookbook proves it. From soups to desserts this book provides a variety of recipes from around the world to satisfy anyone's craving for that delicious ingredient. Filled with full colored images and a friendly font, I enjoyed browsing this cookbook and am excited to try some of the recipes.

Not set

Title: Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too!: A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes Author: Raghavan Iyler Published: 11-1-2016 Publisher:Workman;s Publishing Company Pages: 256 Genre: Food & Wine Sub Genre: Cooking by Ingredient; Cookbooks ISBN: 13-978-0761185475 ASIN: B01BEGGV5DO Reviewer: DelAnne Reviewed For: NetGalley My Rating: 5 stars I received a copy of Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too!: A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes in exchange for my honest review. As one of my favorite vegetables I eagerly perused this cookbook looking for new ways to prepare this versatile world wide root vegetable. I found what I was looking for, but I also discovered many new facts about it as well. Listing many of the potatoes varieties available and dishes from many cultures from around the world. You too will be surprised how many multiple uses and preparations can be found in Smashed, Mashed, Boiled, and Baked--and Fried, Too!: A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes. With numerous mouth watering photographs accompanying the recipes there are bound to quite a few new tempting recipes for you too try and enjoy.