Swallow

Pub Date 27 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 28 Jul 2021

Talking about this book? Use #Swallow #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

The students at Roanoke High School have created a soundtrack that runs constantly in Mildred Waco’s mind . . .

Change your hair, Mildred.
Change your face, Mildred.
Change your body, Mildred.
Everyone hates you, Mildred.
Are you really going to wear that, Mildred?

The stares, the snickers, the constant teasing—combined with Mildred’s own self-doubt and absentee parents—takes its toll. Stumbling upon the Crossroads Magicks shop, Mildred decides she will no longer simply endure the bullying and skeptically buys a revenge curse.

But when she begins to lose control and Roanoke students are found brutally murdered, Mildred realizes that she may have bought more than she bargained for. With time running out, Mildred will have to stop the terrible forces she’s unleashed or lose her soul forever.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Change your hair, Mildred.
Change your face, Mildred.
...

ISBN 9781989365342

Send To Kindle (PDF)

So I won't give much feedback, because I didn't finish this book. It wasn't at all that it was badly written, it was the kind of OTT "horror" as the movie Jennifer's Body, and that's just not my thing. It was hilarious, and well written though!

I know this is really a 3 star but in my heart it's a 4 star Trigger Warning: gore, cannibalism, murder, witchcraft, demons, bullying, parental abuse/neglect and mental health. This book gave me reading fanfiction in high school vibes, and I loved it. The writing wasn't the best, but the switch between pov actually added to the story very well (except the witch demon ones, but I ignore those). What made this book was the satisfying revenge against bullies (which was way too extreme), but it filled a dark fantasy I had when I was very young and was getting excessively bullied. I resonated with the rage and hate she felt towards her tormentors, but I did enjoy that we had glimpses into the bullies lives, so we saw they were human, but it didn't excuse their actions. It would have been better with a less sudden and wishy-washy ending, in all honesty, but I still recommend it!

This book was a campy, fun horror story, and a very quick and enjoyable read. The writing is fast-paced and keeps you guessing about what happens next. The main character, Mildred, isn't particularly likable but neither was Carrie, and she put on a hell of a show. Some reviews say the bullying is exaggerated, but from what I remember, it reads very true to high school.

This was dark, but oh so fun! The writing was decent and the story had me hooked. However, the plot is non-existent and the multiple POV did throw me off a bit at times, but I’d be lying if I said I was not entertained while reading it. I could have done without the constant bullying of the MC, but this was a revenge story after all. If you’re looking for something with teen-drama, cannibalism, demons, gore, and witchcraft - this is for you!

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read for me, and I was interested in the different points of views from each different character. I just don’t think it was realistic at all. Everything was over the top, but sometimes that’s good to read. Kind of refreshing, in a way. Netgalley gave me a free copy of the book in exchange for a review.

This book is definitely not for everyone. It’s violent. It’s gruesome. It pushes the limits. And I loved it. In a strange hybrid between Carrie and Jennifer’s Body, this vulgar character study begs the question of how far social outcast Mildred is willing to go to reclaim her life from her myriad of tormentors. Spoiler alert: the limit does not exist. But even Mildred gets more than she bargained for after an unsettling encounter with a creepy crew of carefully disguised demons. And if you can look beyond the obscenity of this troubling tale, there’s a message about learning to love yourself in there somewhere. Deep down. Deep deep deep down. If you aren’t squeamish, then start digging.

A solid, 90's style horror. I enjoyed my time with this and I look forward to picking up more from Sam Schill!