Grains for Every Season

Rethinking Our Way with Grains

Pub Date 16 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 12 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #GrainsforEverySeason #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“A gift to readers . . . For McFadden, flavor comes first.”
Booklist, STARRED REVIEW

Joshua McFadden’s first book, the James Beard Award–winning and perennially bestselling Six Seasons, transformed the way we cook with vegetables. Now he’s back with a new book that applies his maximalist approach to flavor and texture to cooking with grains. These knock-your-socks-off recipes include salads, soups, pastas, pizzas, grain bowls, breads—and even desserts. McFadden works as intuitively, as surprisingly, as deliciously with whole grains as he does with vegetables. Grains for Every Season will change the way we cook with barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, millet, oats, quinoa, rye, wheat (bulgur, farro, freekeh, spelt, wheat berries, and whole wheat flour), and wild rice.

McFadden reveals how each grain can be used in both savory and sweet recipes, from Meat Loaf with Barley and Mushrooms to Peanut Butter–Barley Cookies; from Buckwheat, Lime and Herb Salad to Buckwheat Cream Scones. He folds quinoa into tempura batter to give veggies extra pop and takes advantage of the nutty flavor of spelt flour for Cast-Iron Skillet Spelt Cinnamon Rolls. Four special foldout sections highlight seasonal variations on grain bowls, stir-fries, pizzas, pilafs, and more, to show how flexible and satisfying cooking with grains can be.

“A gift to readers . . . For McFadden, flavor comes first.”
Booklist, STARRED REVIEW

Joshua McFadden’s first book, the James Beard Award–winning and perennially bestselling Six Seasons, transformed...

Advance Praise

“Joshua McFadden gives new life to ancient—and contemporary—grains. From maple millet bread and barley burgers, to super-fudgy oat cake and "Cracker Jack"-seasoned caramel corn . . . Grains for Every Season changes the grain game!”

—David Lebovitz, author, Drinking French and My Paris Kitchen

“Whole grain lovers, rejoice! How lucky are we to explore the delicious world of whole grains with Joshua McFadden’s new cookbook. I recommend starting with Joshua’s grain-centric veggie burgers. After giving them a try, you won't make burgers any other way.”

—Roxana Jullapat, baker and author, Mother Grains: Recipes for the Grain Revolution

Date reviewed/posted: June 22, 2021 Publication date: October 12, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle.! I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. Joshua McFadden’s first book, the James Beard Award-winning and perennially bestselling "Six Seasons", transformed the way we cook with vegetables. Now he’s back with a new book that applies his maximalist approach to flavour and texture to cooking with grains. These knock-your-socks-off recipes include salads, soups, pastas, pizzas, grain bowls, breads—and even desserts. McFadden works as intuitively, as surprisingly, as deliciously with whole grains as he does with vegetables. Grains for Every Season will change the way we cook with barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, millet, oats, quinoa, rye, wheat (bulgur, farro, freekeh, spelt, wheat berries, and whole wheat flour), and wild rice. The book’s 200 recipes are organized into chapters by grain type, unlocking information on where each one comes from, how to prepare it, and why the author—the multi-award-winning chef/owner of Ava Gene’s in Portland—can’t live without it. McFadden uses grains both whole and milled into flour. The many gluten-free recipes are clearly designated. McFadden reveals how each grain can be used in both savoury and sweet recipes, from Meat Loaf with Barley and Mushrooms to Peanut Butter–Barley Cookies; from Buckwheat, Lime and Herb Salad to Buckwheat Cream Scones. He folds quinoa into tempura batter to give veggies extra pop and takes advantage of the nutty flavour of spelt flour for Cast-Iron Skillet Spelt Cinnamon Rolls. Four special foldout sections highlight seasonal variations on grain bowls, stir-fries, pizzas, pilafs, and more, to show how flexible and satisfying cooking with grains can be. I loved Joshua's book on vegetables and was excited to see a book on GRAINS as I love them - these grain-free people baffle me. I pretty much live on grains and any extra recipes to have for my larder are a serious bonus. The recipes are varied and make my mouth water at the mere thought of making them and the book's outlay makes sense as it is organized by grain. These recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there as there is MORE THAN JUST A GRAIN BOWL! I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better. My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!) I will HIGHLY recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥘🥘🥘🥘🥘

I loved McFadden's Six Seasons and what it did to elevate vegetables across seasons, and this take is similar, only for a wide variety of grains. I appreciated how each grain is stretched in its representation--from breakfast to dinner, from main course to salad to dessert. Rarely do the recipes call for fussy ingredients, and I'm excited to make many of them that introduce less familiar grains.

This advanced cookbook is a great fit for libraries with large selections of specialized cookbooks, or for home cooks who are devoted to whole grain cooking. Recipes draw from global ingredients, and include many plant-based dishes. The photography is rich and tantalizing, and includes several spreads with progressive photos of more intensive recipes. Every dish looks delicious and homey, and I see this circulating well at a library. It is a good acquisition for a home cook who is experienced with whole grain cooking and who has access to a large grocery budget and/or specialty ingredients that may not be carried at national grocery stores.

I was more than impressed with how well this book is laid out, the beautiful photography, the recipes and the fact that it is filled with plenty of gluten-free grains. Yes there is a section on wheat, but there is also millet, brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat, corn, oats.... They all get their own section. What I love most, besides the delicious looking recipes, is the fact that each section talks about the grain itself. What it tastes like, the weight per cup, the water ratio. All of these small details put this book ahead of all the others I've seen. As someone who mills their own grain, having those weights per cup is invaluable to me, it saves me time from looking them up. There are both sweet and savory dishes in here. Full meals, to sides, to appetizers, to dessert. Simple and easy to follow without super weird or difficult to source ingredients. Oh and a picture for each recipe which I love. If you're looking for a good introduction to whole grains and how to use them, then this is the book for you.