Brilliant Disguise

The Charlie McClung Mysteries Book 1

Pub Date 18 Jan 2014 | Archive Date 29 Jul 2021

Talking about this book? Use #BrilliantDisguise #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Do you think you could tell the difference between murder and suicide?

Detective Charlie McClung nearing 50, wanting more from life than crime, moves to a small town for a simpler life. It turns out his first case is the most complicated of his career.

A young woman is killed, and the chief of police rules it suicide without an investigation. But the dead woman's beautiful neighbor and his gut tell him something entirely different.

As McClung discovers secrets never meant to be found, he quickly finds himself with more trouble than ever imagined. Can he solve the case before he becomes the next corpse?

Do you think you could tell the difference between murder and suicide?

Advance Praise

"I'm a big mystery fan and found this one very refreshing." ~Gretchen Archer, USA Today Bestselling Author of the Davis Way Crime Capers.

"Brilliant Disguise is a first-rate mystery that harkens you back to the days of Agatha Christie. You'll feel a sense of nostalgia as you immerse yourself in the story, investigating alongside Det. McClung and eagerly awaiting clues at every turn. It's an edge-of-your-seat whodunit!" ~Monique Michelle Mason, Author of Moving at the Speed of Single.

"So glad I found this author! Kept me on the edge of my seat. Could not put it down!" ~Book Reviewer.

"Loved this book! It was suspenseful, exciting, AND had romance... not much more you can ask for from a great story! It was also so well written. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!!" ~Lindsay R.

"I'm a huge mystery buff. I laughed, was puzzled, cheered on Charlie and Marian, and can't wait to read the next book in this series. If you enjoy a good whodunit, mystery, suspense, a touch of romance, clean read, you'll absolutely love this mystery. Kudos to Mary Anne and her brilliant storytelling!" ~M. Gray.

"Brilliant Disguise is a first-rate mystery that harkens you...

Links

Loved the way the writing draws you in and you can't stop turning the pages... Detective Charlie McClung was on the scene of a crime and met Marian the friend of the murder victim. From there the pages flow as you learn more of the characters and see how the doubt of who you can and cannot trust sets in. I loved the way Detective McClung keeps a strong sense of duty and most of all loyalty to his job and his family values. It was nice to see a suttle not so 'jump in the bed' romance begin to form as Marian and Charlie seem to have alot in common. I can't wait to see what happens in the next boook.

The author paints a pictures with words as you read and I love the way that their writing draws you in and you can't stop turning the pages. What a great read!

Amazing read which i really enjoyed, the author has a way of keeping you engaged and wanting to turn the page, i really love this type of writing and the author really shone with it. The storyline was captivating, i really enjoyed this book and would thoroughly recommend to book readers, friends and/or family.

The sentence that really got my attention occurred around Loc 495 “all the memories of past deaths spilled out and magnified the present.” I was intrigued. Whoa, is this sentence a red herring? Is Marian a murderer? As the story unfolds the author does reveal all the past deaths and why they are important to the story. Marian, a widow whose neighbor, Dianne, has died, and Charlie, a new detective in the area, join forces to solve the issue of whether the neighbor’s death is a suicide or a murder. If this is a murder, many people are suspects, including the deceased’s young daughter. Marian and Charlie are likeable characters and I found myself rooting for a possible romance. I also liked Marian’s friend Joan. Everyone needs a friend like Joan. I recommend this to those who enjoy a cozy mystery with good characterization, intrigue, and suspense. Thank you #netgalley and #maryannedwards for an opportunity to read #BrilliantDisguise

Detective Charlie McClung wanted to get away from dealing with murder all of the time but after a very short time he is looking at it again in his new town. The police chief has arrived before him though and he says it is suicide. The neighbor does not think so and neither does Charlie. They work on the clues together to see what they can find. It turns out to be more than they bargained for in the end.