Eight - Fantastical Tales from Here, There & Everywhere

Pub Date 30 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 05 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #EightFantasticalTalesfromHereThereEverywhere #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What if... anything was possible?

What really lurks beneath the humdrum and the mundane, the ubiquitous and the familiar?

And what if you came face to face with it?

Enter a world where goddesses descend to earth, magical creatures materialise out of thin air, ghosts mean well, and limbs have minds of their own. In a series of tales that explore the fantastical and the surreal, the lives of ordinary people are upturned by bizarre incidents and mysterious happenings.

Are you ready to take a walk on the wild side?

What if... anything was possible?

And what if you came face to face with it?

Enter a world where goddesses...

ISBN 9781916269927

I’ll be honest straight away and say I have a hate/hate relationship with short stories and all my previous reviews will attest to that. No matter how many I read, I just don’t enjoy them. They’re not for me and never seem to grab me or keep me interested. But I think I’ve finally found the one collection that has shown me what a good short story can be. They’re whimsical and magical and almost fairytale like but steeped in realism with an important life lesson at the end, but by approaching it in this way, they don’t become corny or preachy or over the top. There were definitely some I enjoyed more than others; some felt forced, some felt they were a bit lost, but most feel like a complete story. They ranged from learning to cope with adversity, deciding what means the most to you in your life, realising what is important, learning how far a bit of kindness goes, and so on. The penultimate story - which I will not spoil - was inspired by A a Christmas Carol and it was so warming. Everyone that knows me knows how important that story is to me and it is definitely my favourite book of all time, and it was fascinating to see an outlook on it from a different culture, and therefore it is my outright favourite story in this collection.

Short stories have never played a large role in my personal library. I picked this out on a whim and am so happy I did. This book was magical. The writing was beautiful, the stories were funny while somehow also being thought-provoking, and the characters were lovely. I will continue to pick this collection up over and over again.

This was pretty interesting. A variety of different tales brought to you by one author. I really loved this and had lots of fun reading it. It was pretty memorable since I can still recall some of the beautifully written sentences. It really just confirmed for me that manco is an author I will for sure keep an eye out for of course!

This was such a magical book I thoroughly enjoyed every second of reading it. It was well written with such brilliant imagery. A great read

One of the reasons I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez is because of the magic realism.These 8 short stories take place in different countries and while dealing with very serious subjects(disability,addiction,loss, loneliness...)each of them has a touch of magic realism that make it very easy to get immersed in them. It would benefit of some notes to translate/explain certain words,but the absence doesn't stop you following the story.

Delightful light confection that goes around the globe with short fantasy stories. From Argentina to somewhere in the air Hitting Germany, France, Egypt, Korea, China, India in-between. Little quick tastes of a dot of sweet, sour, spicy, hot & cold tidbits to make you smile or think. Most poignant I thought was the German & the rabbit but they were all tasty fare

This book is a collection of eight short stories set in various countries including Germany, India, South Korea, France, etc. I'm blown away by the diverse settings in the stories, as well as the exceptional vocabulary of Poormina Manco. I felt like I was reading a book of modern fairy tales! There are some stories that I enjoyed more than others, but overall, this book is a delight to read.

I have a slight bias for short stories so I was pretty excited to read another book of short stories. These were indeed fantastic tales from everywhere. Eight stories- fantastic, magical, real, or a combo of all I would say. 1. The Butterfly Effect – For me this was one the of weakest. Story of Mariposa who experiences a devastating accident and what transpires after. I found it dragged a little and I had a hard time trying to connect to Mariposa. While I did greatly sympathize with her I just couldn’t get into the story. 2 stars 2. Osterhase – Osterhase I believe means Easter Bunny in German. The story takes place in Cologne, Germany and follows the whole life of Stefan divided in a few segments. Sort of a “life lessons” type of story with a fairy tale mix. 3 stars 3. The Invisible Suitcase – This was one of my favorites. A special woman and equally special cat arrive in Paris and open a café/bakery just in time for Valentine’s and try to spread love through their baked goods. That’s all I will say without spoiling it. Definitely read this one. 4 stars 4. New Year, New You – A nice spin on a very old Egyptian folk tale. I wish some things were explained better, there were some confusing parts. 2 stars 5. Idol – This story takes place in South Korea. Heejin, is an idol trainee, which is a K-Pop band type of star. She is with a group of similar young teen girls. She’s visited by a ghost who has something she must do and a curious Heejin wants to know what it is. 2 stars 6. The Perfect Wife – A story we’ve heard, read, and seen before but still always good to see or read it. A very rich and powerful man aims to build a perfect wife. Can it be done? Does he succeed? You find out. 3 stars 7. Lala Lakshmi – An Indian take on A Christmas Carol during the Diwali holiday. Since A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite books I really enjoyed this. I won’t lie, I got a little teary-eyed. This was a nice little story and kudos to the author for being able to fit it in a short story. 4 stars 8. A Thank You Would Be Nice – Awesome story. Starts off in on direction then totally surprised me. The most chilling stories are always the ones that can actually be real and this is one of them. 4 stars. I would like to thank NetGalley and Mango Tree Publications for providing me with with the ebook copy for my honest review.

I like anthologies and thought the stories in this were well written. There was a rather magical quality to them and very easy to get through. Will be looking for the author's future books too.