How Not to Vampire

Season 1: So I Might Be a Vampire

Pub Date 27 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 20 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #HowNottoVampire #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Vampiring is hard.

Things Bob has on his checklist when he accidentally becomes a vampire: a) forget everything he knows about vampires; b) don't get brutally murdered by vampires.

Apparently, there are vampire LAWS, and Bob, a young, romantically challenged black man living in Toronto, never got the guidebook. Even though it's not his fault that he's broken every rule, a secret vampire society is hellbent on giving him a more permanent death. With the help of his best pal, Claude, Bob tries to stay alive and hopefully turn around his screwed-up existence in the process.

Vampiring is hard.

Apparently...

Advance Praise

"...the plot is amazing, and what makes it even more interesting is that it's so character-driven it hurts, in a very good way. It works: write amazing characters, and you'll have me hooked forever." - Val on the Moon, Reedsy

"Bob's narrative voice is strong and powerful and is very liberal about providing extra context. The comedy is brilliantly on-point without being staged." - Gordon Piper, author of The Dragon Chase

EDITION Ebook

So entertaining and a great, intriguing ending. I loved the vampire society, it was so interesting. I can't wait to read the next book.

How Not to Vampire by Rodney V Smith, brought me out of my reading slump and am happy that it was this book! This book, in many ways, is a stellar example of what creative writing lecturers mean when they say you can have an amazing book with just an interesting character voice. I have read similar voices in rom-coms and chick-lit (*wink-wink* at people who have read the book. If you know, you know), but it was a splash of freshness to read it within the genre (of fantasy of course). On further googling I discovered that this book was available initially as an episodic story series on Wattpad - if you get in to the book knowing this tidbit, you'll be more in tune with what to expect from the story structure. As long as you know what to expect from the story- an awesome time pass with an interesting voice with not much for a plot - you are going to love it!

NetGalley ARC Educator 550974 This was an amazing one sitting read. Laugh out loud funny and could be the next cult classic. Bob is a screwup. He's lovable and honest, a bit of a stalker too. One night things gets out of hand. What follows is Bob's tale of events. Thankfully this is book 1. Can't wait for book 2.

It's a darkly fun story that I was able to read through very quickly. I'd have preferred that the cliffhanger be more abstract than ending mid-scene, but it certainly leaves you wanting to pick up the next installment.