L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 37

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 27 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #LRonHubbardPresentsWritersoftheFutureVolume37 #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Sci-Fi and Fantasy of Tomorrow Selected by Masters of Today

26 Award-winning Authors and Illustrators

Get ready to get carried away … to places no one has ever gone before.

Turn the page … from dark fantasy to dystopian nightmare, from magical realism to military science, from paranormal urban fantasy to post-apocalyptic power trips … and beyond.

Take flight on a starship powered by a godlike being, willing to go to any length to know what it is to be human. Delve into the psyche of a scientist who must choose between ambition and compassion while compelled to participate in a secret and sadistic government project. Get lost in the chilling Museum of Modern Warfare, where one woman is about to discover life-changing secrets. Experience the stories that challenge our sense of self—and our sense of the world. And that’s just the beginning of your journey.…

Discover the mesmerizing power of these new stories, thought-provoking new ideas, brilliant new horizons, and astounding new writers and illustrators—the chosen ones, selected by today’s bestselling science fiction and fantasy authors and artists.

___________________________

3 Bonus Short Stories by

L. Ron Hubbard • Jody Lynn Nye • Kristine Kathryn Rusch

“The Dangerous Dimension” by L. Ron Hubbard: Meek Dr. Henry Mudge has a dramatic personality change after discovering a mathematical equation that transports him to any place in the universe he can think of.…

“The Phoenixes’ War” by Jody Lynn Nye: When a lover’s gift to her king turns out to be a perilous trap, the Phoenixes and their priestess face a test that will decide the fate of two realms.…

“Museum of Modern Warfare” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch: When an ambassador is asked to inspect the controversial Museum of Modern Warfare, she discovers life-changing secrets.…

___________________________

Art and Writing Tips by

L. Ron Hubbard • Orson Scott Card • Craig Elliott

“Magic Out of a Hat” by L. Ron Hubbard: From a challenge to write a story inspired by a completely uninspiring wastebasket, Ron provides timeless insight on generating a solid story idea and also reveals a bit of the effusive spirit that he brought to the magic of writing.

“On Magic Out of a Hat” by Orson Scott Card: Card discusses and expands upon Hubbard’s article breaking down the techniques Ron used to create a story from a simple object. Card also explores the history of memorable speculative fiction and what makes it great.

“The Rewards of Imagination” by Craig Elliott: In addition to his fine-art work, Craig has had a hand in designing many of today’s most popular animated films. Here Craig expounds on the value and need for creative artists and their impact on our society.

The Sci-Fi and Fantasy of Tomorrow Selected by Masters of Today

26 Award-winning Authors and Illustrators

Get ready to get carried away … to places no one has ever gone before.

Turn the page …...

Advance Praise

“Writers of the Future collection is exciting and engrossing, with stories that range across the spectrum of SF and fantasy. Tried-and-true space opera and epic fantasy, these stories explore new mysteries and ideas.” —Publishers Weekly

“This is a fine collection that will appeal to both fans of science fiction and fantasy short stories and aspiring writers looking for ways to improve their craft.” —Booklist

“Science fiction as a genre has always looked to the future and the Writers of the Future looks to the future of science fiction.” —Kevin J. Anderson

elevates the quality of SF writing by bringing on board talented future professionals.” —Brian Herbert

“Packed with brilliant stories and thoughtful essays, all wonderfully illustrated by the artist winners―always a joy to behold.” —Robert J. Sawyer

“Writers of the Future is always one of the best anthologies of the year.” —Tangen

ISBN 9781619866980

Send To Kindle (PDF)

A great collection of new science fiction stories. There are a good variety of stories sure to please any science fiction fan. The stories are well told, good character development, and a quick read. Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I was thrilled to get a chance to review one of L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future anthologies. The first time I read one was probably 15-16 years ago and as a writer I love seeing new writers get a fresh start. There are three specific stories of various talent and style that I fell in love with. While I enjoyed the whole book and in fact gave it 5 stars, my favorite stories were each written in such unique ways. The Tiger and The Waif was written by John M. Campbell about a toy AI kitten and its ability to save a little girl after a disaster. Magic Out of a Hat by L. Ron Hubbard takes place after World War I. He wrote the story as a horror tale regarding a cursed Russian hat. The interesting thing is that the hat was based off of a wastebasket in his hotel room and had been part of a challenge to write from a unique prompt. The third and final story that stuck with me was The Phoenixes' War by Jody Lynn Nye. I have adored Phoenixes' in fantasy literature for years and the beautiful pair in Jody's story are awesome. They stand between their country and other countries going to war and thanks to the priestess that has bonded with them, they always are ready to save the day. It would be lovely if we could do that in real life, maybe the world would be a better place. I highly recommend this book. Lots of wonderful stories to fill your day or night. I look forward to seeing some of these authors writing full length novels.

I look forward to this anthology every year! This year might be the best yet -- the stories have something for every reader to love! It is impossible to choose a favorite, but among the ones that pulled my heartstrings the most were "The Tiger and the Waif" and "The Argentum." I hope to see many more stories by these fourteen new authors!

A solid collection of stories. A nice mix of science fiction, speculative fiction, and fantasy. Pretty high quality overall. Recommended. Thanks very much for the free review copy for review!

"The Tiger and the Waif By John Campbell An interesting change to most apocalypse stories. An android cat saves a young girl in the aftermath of events that takes his memories, and her world. A great story of perception, responsibility, and compassion" "Sixers" By Barbara Lund A twist on human greed and freedom. The invention of new warfare devastated the world. A mother attempts to check on her son. After loosing her entire family she may have found a new family that needs her even more. A story of loss and found of devastation and redemption." "The Enfield report BY Christopher Bowthrope The brutal nature of war makes the evilest of men. The mad scientist hired by the government to do the experiments we don't feel anyone less could do. How would you rectify your participation even if it was innocent and unknowing. A dark look at human nature." "The widow's might Elizabeth Chaysworth The down trodden have a new group of crime fighting individuals. The widows have a new order for the next more balanced world. Can they avenge a lost tabby, or a broken tea pot." magic out of a hat L ron Hubbard A twist of fate a lost empire for the want of a message. Missed by those whom know not its reason. A great story pulled out of a contest of making a story from items in a hotel room." On "magic out of a hat " by orson scott card The remarkable impression of Hubbard's influence on writers and readers in the future. The stories remarkable change to the processes of writing. The dangerous dimension by L. Ron Hubbard How to steal the plot armor by luke wildman the redemption of brother adalum by K.D. Julicher The argentum by Anj Dockrey The Phoenixes war by Jody Lynn Nye soul paper by trent Walters The skin of mother by Erik Lynd Death of a Time traveler by Sara fox The Battle of Donasi by Elaine Midcoh The rewards of imagination by Craig Elliot the museum of Modern WarFare by Kristine Kathryn Rusch A demon hunter's guide to Passover Seder by Ryan Cole Hemingway by Emma Washburn half breed by Brittany Rainsdon