Introduction to Internal Family Systems

Pub Date 07 Mar 2023 | Archive Date 10 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #IntroductiontoInternalFamilySystems #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A highly accessible introduction to a therapeutic approach that brings our inner “parts” into harmony and allows our core Self to lead

We’re all familiar with self-talk, self-doubt, self-judgment—yet most of us still view ourselves as if we have one uniform mind. Dr. Richard Schwartz’s breakthrough was recognizing that we each contain an “internal family” of distinct parts—and that treating these parts with curiosity, respect, and empathy vastly expands our capacity to heal.

Over the past two decades, Internal Family Systems (IFS) has transformed the practice of psychotherapy. With Introduction to Internal Family Systems, the creator of IFS presents the ideal layperson’s guide for understanding this empowering, effective, and non-pathologizing approach to self-discovery and healing. Here, Dr. Schwartz shares evidence, case studies, and self-care tools to help you:

• Shift from the limiting “mono-mind” paradigm into an appreciation of your marvelous, multidimensional nature
• Unburden your wounded parts from extreme beliefs, emotions, and addictions
• Demystify the most commonly misunderstood parts—the Exiles, Managers, and Firefighters
• Transform your most challenging parts from inner obstacles to invaluable allies
• Embrace the existence of innate human goodness—in yourself and others
• Connect with the true Self that is greater than the sum of your parts

“The most wonderful discovery I have made is that as you do this work, you release, or liberate, what I call your Self or your True Self—the calm, compassionate essence of who you are,” says Dr. Schwartz. “When the Self becomes the leading intelligence in our lives, we create more harmony—both within ourselves and in our external lives.” For therapists, their clients, and anyone interested in understanding and healing themselves, here is an essential guide to a revolutionary approach to self-realization, mental wellness, and transformation.

We’re all familiar with self-talk, self-doubt, self-judgment—yet...

PAGES 192

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Undoubtedly, this book could create a wave of change. I’m so inspired and hopeful for the future when I find books like these that create or utilize a model that truly makes a change.

This book is formatted very well, too. You’ll read a section, say for example the section on “The Self” and then once that info has kind of settled in you’ll read an exercise to better understand the material to your personal experiences.

I chose this particular book because it’s centered around IFS and I’d love to see this topic broached more and to see the positive change that can and will come from people learning this method. Thank you!

I received this e-book free for a genuine review.

Richard Schwartz's "Introduction to Internal Family Systems" is marvelous. He is clearly a pioneer and the therapy world, and the world in general, is a better place because of him. His text is down to earth yet brilliant. It is informative, wise, compassionate and a must-read for any serious clinician.

I love Introduction to Internal Family Systems by Richard Schwartz. This book is a fantastic resource and written in a way that's easy to understand, making it perfect for professionals and regular folks like me.

The author, Richard Schwartz, does a fantastic job of breaking down the basics of the IFS model. He explains how we all have different "parts" or subpersonalities that make up our inner landscape and how these parts can often conflict with one another, leading to feelings of anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues. He uses real-life examples to make the material relatable and easy to understand. Plus, he gives practical exercises that are doable and one can begin exploring their own internal landscape and start the process of self-discovery.

Introduction to Internal Family Systems is a must-read for anyone looking to understand the IFS model.

Thank you Dr. Richard Schwartz, Sounds True Publishing, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read the book. I understand that providing this feedback is a choice I am making voluntarily.

I found this a very interesting read. I hadn't heard of Internal Family Systems before, but this book offers a detailed and accessible explanation and guide to working with your various 'parts'. As the blurb suggests, the text is written in an empowering and non-pathologising manner, which makes what could be a daunting or shame-inducing task actually seem enjoyable and fulfilling. Any therapeutic approach that encourages curiosity, to my mind, brings with it compassion and hope. I tried out some of the exercises while reading, and got the hang of them alone, but I think you could also work with a professional to make use of the book's teachings. I really liked Schwartz' emphasis on empathy; the spectrum of parts and how to engage them; and bringing the wounded parts into grounded rather than extreme positions through compassionate witnessing. Sometimes I found the writing approach a little too highbrow for my personal tastes, as I prefer something more down to earth and practical, but that's a minor personal complaint.

disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Sounds True Publishing via NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving this honest review.