Caillou Waits for Santa

Christmas Special Edition with Advent calendar

Pub Date 13 Oct 2015 | Archive Date 04 Apr 2022

It’s finally Christmas Eve, and Caillou just can’t wait for night time. He’s planning to stay up all night to see Santa, but he finds this a lot harder than he thought it would be. And in the morning his stocking is full of gifts!

A Note From the Publisher

This book includes an Advent calendar with stickers to help young ones count the days until Christmas. Glittery edition.

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9782897182076

This is such an adorable book, a short read for young readers that are three to six years old. The illustrations are absolutely adorable, and the story is one that will keep a child engaged. I have read this countless times to my granddaughter, and I'm sure I will read it many more times.

The story is about four-year old Caillou, and his excitement over Christmas Eve. As with all young children, he is hoping to stay awake to see Santa. In this story, he is also teaching his sister about the family traditions that take place on the night before Christmas, such as baking and leaving a treat for Santa and the reindeer. With all of the excitement, poor little Caillou has a hard time staying awake, even though he is trying so hard to finally see Santa.

This is a great book for toddlers, especially since the story is short enough to keep their attention and the illustrations are cute. My granddaughter points to the pictures as I read the story, and she just loves this book. It is also a great book for early readers because the words are fairly simple and easy to understand. I would definitely recommend this book!

I was given a digital copy of this book by Chouette Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. After receiving it, I realized I already had this book, and have read it many times to my granddaughter.

In true Caillou fashion! Perfect for kids and a fun story for Christmas all year long

Perfect for my 5 year old fan of Caillou!

What a lovely story and great visual pictures in this book that will enthrall any child.

The happy feel around this story beams out from the pages. Its a short book, which is great for any child, most children have a short attention span so this is ideal.

The pictures are bright, with the Christmassy colours throughout the books pages.

What little child won't go to bed the night before Christmas day, and when they are persuaded to, the reply "I won't be able to sleep, I want to see Santa" this is the theme of the book.

Great little read.

Like any child awaiting the arrival of Santa, little Caillou wants to stay up all night. But like all children he doses off and doesn't wake until morning to find that Santa has come to visit.

This delightful short story is an enjoyable tale for young readers.

Rating 5 out of 5 Read@Book

This book is all types of adorable. My 4 year old son is a huge Caillou fan. The lesson that are learned through the books and this show are always strait forward and easy to grasp. This is the perfect book to get him read y for Christmas. WE've already read it 3 times and im sure we will many more. Perhaps he'll even go to sleep on time in Christmas Eve for once (ha!)

Caillou is such an adorable character. I love his sweet, fresh take on everything. This was a wonderful story that my children and I appreciated.

I love the Caillou books. They are so realistic to what children would really be going through. In this story, Caillou wants to wait up and see Santa. He tries to stay up but he has to go to bed. He wants to stay awake but of course he can not stay awake and when he wakes up in the morning his stocking is full. He spends the day happy with his family. I love the colourful illustrations.

Great book to read to kids. Illustrations are excellent! Highly recommend.

This is a wonderful book in the Caillou series of books following the adorable bald kid and his family. In this story, we see Christmas Eve at Caillou's house. He is awaiting the arrival of Santa Claus and asking the questions that many kids ask. When will Santa be here? Why does he arrive at night? How will he arrive? When can we finally open present? The story is quite descriptive for a children's book, discussing smells, traditions, and being with family.

Young fans of Caillou will appreciate this book for the reasons they likely appreciate most of the Caillou books and television programs: it is relatable and follows the Caillou formula. The Christmas tradition is relatable to so many kids, and they will enjoy seeing that others, including Caillou, do similar things on Christmas Even that they might do. The book might also be a good opening for parents to explain why Caillou might have different traditions. The familiar formula is also present. You have interactions with Rosie, Caillou's parents, and his grandparents. You also have the Caillou imagination scene that is so familiar on the television programs.

Parents are also likely to appreciate this book, perhaps more than the television program. The events that unfold in this book are similar events that unfold in millions of households around the world on Christmas Eve. Wanting to open presents, setting up cookies and carrots for Santa, having a hard time falling asleep, and the excitement for the big Santa visit climax are all an annual tradition in so many households.

What might be more important to parents is that Caillou seems a bit more grown up in this one. A common criticism about Caillou programs is that Caillou whines far too much. While the publisher has pointed out that this is just a way to make Caillou seems like a real 4-year-old boy, some parents are turned off by his behaviors. In this book, you see Caillou as an excited but patient kid. He is good to his little sister, teaching her about Santa. He asks when he can open presents but does not complain when he is told no. He even handles the gentle teasing of his parents. When I read a Caillou book I can hear his tone. In this one, his tone is respectable and understanding even though he is clearly excited and anxious for the next day.

The artwork is fantastic, covering much of many pages. The book is a great early reader for young children but is not so devoid of text that it seems too short. I read it to my 5-year-old, and other than the confusion as to why we were reading a Christmas book so early, she was glued to every page. Taking the familiar Christmas Eve storyline and telling it from the perspective of a familiar character is an excellent idea. I look forward to reading this to my daughter again closer to the holidays.

Review: CAILLOU WAITS FOR SANTA by Anne Paradis

My almost four-year-old granddaughter and I shared this, in digital ARC format. She really enjoyed it. Additionally, the print edition contains a special Advent calendar to share with your child or grandchild.