Responsive Feeding

The Baby-First Guide to Stress-Free Weaning, Healthy Eating, and Mealtime Bonding

Pub Date 11 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 18 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ResponsiveFeeding #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This file is NOT currently available for Kindle. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have difficulties with downloading, please email us (at publicity@theexperimentpublishing.com) for assistance or leave a note in lieu of a review rating.

The authoritative guide to feeding babies and toddlers “responsively”—the no-fuss method that follows your child’s cues and sets the stage for healthy eating!

Tired of struggling with your little one at breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Enter responsive feeding! Recommended by the US Department of Health and Human Services and the Academy of American Pediatrics, this revolutionary approach takes the worry out of mealtimes.

Feeding therapist and speech-language pathologist Melanie Potock gives parents the tools—and the confidence—to read baby’s communication cues and follow baby’s lead. Gone is the pressure to cajole your baby to “open wide” for mouthful after mouthful when she’s fussy or disinterested. Your baby’s appetite knows best; when she’s hungry, she’ll tell you!

The guiding principle of responsive feeding—you provide, your child decides—applies equally to families who practice baby-led weaning, spoonfeeding, or a mix. Potock unpacks the evidence to turn daunting mealtimes into a joyful dance: By listening to your baby, anticipating her moves, and taking it in turns to “lead,” you’ll build trust and connection, help her gauge her own fullness, and encourage tactile learning about delicious, healthy food!

Advance Praise

Responsive Feeding is a comforting, engaging must-read for all parents, caregivers, and professionals in the pediatric feeding space. Melanie Potock uses her decades of experience and expertise as a feeding therapist to unite the often conflicting camps of baby-led weaning and puree enthusiasts by educating readers about the beautiful simplicity of what is perhaps the most underappreciated concept in pediatric feeding.”—Malina Malkani, MS, RDN, CDN, author of Simple & Safe Baby-Led Weaning

“Melanie brings wonderful insights with her Responsive Feeding approach, which recognizes the relationship that underpins all interactions, especially feeding, from birth on. This book is a parent-friendly guide, balanced by essential information for therapists. As a feeding and swallowing specialist for infants in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), I am confident that Melanie’s guidance and strategies will provide a positive way forward for infants and children with feeding challenges, and those who care for them.”—Catherine S. Shaker, MS, CCC-SLP, BCS-S, pediatric speech-language pathologist

Responsive Feeding is an absolute gem that will help parents achieve successful mealtimes. As an early intervention provider, I always turn to Coach Mel for feeding-related questions. Now, thanks to this book, I have immediate access to all her expertise right on my bookshelf!”—Cari Ebert, MS, CCC-SLP, speech-language pathologist and early intervention specialist

“With her decades of experience, Melanie Potock has written the bible on how to safely introduce foods to infants with responsive or infant-led feeding. A practical and easy-to-follow book, Responsive Feeding outlines when, why, and how to introduce foods to your child while reading their cues and readiness.”—Holly E. Knotowicz, MS, CCC-SLP, speech-language pathologist and feeding specialist

Responsive Feeding is a comforting, engaging must-read for all parents, caregivers, and professionals in the pediatric feeding space. Melanie Potock uses her decades of experience and expertise as a...

ISBN 9781615198368

An excellent guide on feeding babies and toddlers. My kids are in their twenties now but with a 5 month old grandson I was excited and eager to revise how to feed babies to toddlers and see if advice has changed over the years. I was encouraged by all the advice in the book and am looking forward to giving my grandson some pureed food on his tray to explore (I only remember spoon feeding and yes, wiping chins with a spoon, but maybe I won’t try the latter now!). In all, 5/5 stars for being an informative and encouraging read to anyone tentative about feeding infants

I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley. What a great addition to a basket or gift for a new family. This book covers all things related to feeding your baby from infant to 3year old. A great additions to the bookshelf of all new families.