The Creative Vegetable Gardener

60 Ways to Cultivate Joy, Playfulness, and Beauty along with a Bounty of Food

Pub Date 28 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2023
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #TheCreativeVegetableGardener #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

For decades, gardeners have approached vegetable gardening the same way: planting in square or rectangular beds or in straight rows, keeping vegetables separate from flowers, and definitely not mixing perennial plants with annual ones. According to these old rules, every insect must be killed, the garden must be tidy, and nothing should ever be allowed to go to seed. It’s time to break the rules! Today’s gardeners are re-envisioning the vegetable garden as a creative, playful space where the beds may be circles or spirals, beneficial insects are invited to the party, flowers for cutting grow right next to annual vegetables (which might be chosen for their curb appeal as much as their flavor), and a bit of “untidiness” simply creates a garden that more closely mimics the natural world. With The Creative Vegetable Gardener, lifestyle editor and master gardener Kelly Smith Trimble encourages readers to widen their focus, be playful, and imagine a vegetable garden that reflects their own unique aesthetic and offers a meditative sanctuary as well as a source of fresh, homegrown food. From seed selection to garden layout and regenerative gardening practices, gardeners of all levels will find Timble's liberating advice a pathway to making the garden a place of nourishment for the soul and creative spirit, while also feeding the body.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a beautiful book!

Full of beautiful pictures and helpful advice this is a great read about gardening. The author talks about her journey gardening and what we can learn from it. There's tips on selecting your plants, preparing the ground, dealing with plant problems, and loving your garden as it is. She talks a bit about land acknowledgements and how all land is stolen land and what that means for the things we grow.

It's an interesting blend of advice, pictures, and gardening information with mindfulness thrown in. Overall an interesting find!

I absolutely love this vibrantly colourful and extremely informative book as a first time vegetable gardener this year. The book contains valuable knowledge and information on not only growing for yields, but for mental health and well-being; actively encouraging you to want to get out into your own garden and get dug in. I hadn't even thought about the usefulness of planting certain herbs alongside other crops to minimise potential bug invasions, but will be doing so next year due to the information provided within this book. Overall this book gives vital insight into the benefits not only for food production, but for the benefit of nature and wildlife habitat, alongside instance for mindfulness and wellness. 5/5 would recommend, an absolutely stunning read.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and I really enjoyed looking at all the amazing photos that inspired a beautiful garden. The photos were really inspiring, but then I loved reading the actually book. This book touches on reasons to grow your own garden, how to customize your own garden, how to care for your plants and learn to understand what your plants are telling you. This book had a lot of information and it wasn't overwhelming.

This is one of my new favorite gardening books! As an avid gardener I read a lot of garden books but I love that this one has such a creative, playful take on it. Who says gardens need to be in straight boxes and rows? Who says you can't put veggies in a front yard flower garden? This book is packed with great photos, fun inspiration and tons of real garden information. I knew most of the info but it would be priceless for new gardeners for that alone. The photos and ideas make it priceless for those of us who are experienced gardeners but still love new inspiration. Highly recommended.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.

I loved this book so much! It is such a bright and colorful book so it gives you energy to want to be creative. It is filled with helpful tips and guides to becoming a better vegetable gardener. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.